dictionary dilema

I have recently heard that some dictionaries have been updated to include woot,noob and upcycle. It’s cool, but is it a good idea? I say yes because they are used commonly enough.

.in order to know what we’re dealing with we need o know what they mean “ woot is a hacker term used to relate to the root(or administrative access to a computer. However,with the term coincedes with the gamer term W00t!”

The latter use is described as this: “w00t is a truncated expression common among players of the Dungeons & Dragons table top role playing game for “wow,loot!” Thus the term passed into net culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost it’s original meaning...”

the meaning of noob pretty much is self-explanatory as a new player that sucks at playing.

upcycle’s definition in the urban dictionary is pretty simple:”taking ordinary objects and turning them into something extraordinary”

Now that we know what each word means -if you didn't before- my reasons will make sense. 1st of all the word woot has a common usage in many teen communities, most commonly gaming communities. As does n00b.Also upcycle is just a combo of two words that make describing recycled art easier ie. upgraded recycling.

now some people think that they are not used enough to be real words. but as you can see it’s quite the opposite.and that's my take.

nikkigonefishin said...
I agree that the dictionary should be updated and that it include words common to our generation however I think that we would be losing the use of other vocabulary words that are actually on the SAT like jargon, fastidious or lassitude. Those are the kind of words that we should pay more attention to.