In a Rage | Teen Ink

In a Rage

By Athena Balles BRONZE, Covington, Washington
Athena Balles BRONZE, Covington, Washington

If anything, please, please.. read the second part. It's important. It's something you need to know. But if you're not in a rush, please don't skip over the first part.

First off, I want to tell you about the 30 Hour Famine. Have you ever heard of it? It's a fundraiser and event where we join as a church through World Vision and we do community service project and raise awareness and money for those in need.

Oh, and we don't eat for 30 hours..

11,000 kids die from hunger related illnesses every day… illnesses that could be prevented. Our purpose for doing the Famine is to raise awareness and money to help those who are hungry, those who have to fight every day of their lives to fill their empty stomachs, and those who are too weak or sick to eat. We are not only helping fill their stomachs, but also their hearts and their souls with the love of Jesus and hope that there are people out there willing to stand up and do something.

This will be my third year participating in the famine, and each year is a new experience, a new opportunity and a different perspective. The 30 Hour Famine is an opportunity to experience what it's like to go with out food and to open our eyes to what people go through every day. I'm asking for sponsors to help make a difference and save the lives of those who are suffering, and raise money to give food to those who are hungry. I am going hungry, so that others can eat.

Are you willing to make a difference?

So far I have raised $377 by asking teachers, friends, family and saving money from my paychecks. My goal is to raise $500 by March 23rd! By clicking on the link below, you will be directed to a page to donate online. $30 can help feed a child for 30 days, $360 can feed a child for a whole year, but anything helps! Imagine what you can do, who you can help… I would appreciate so much if we worked together to help those in need.

http://twv.convio.net/site/TR/30HourFamine/30HourFamine?px=1222208&pg=personal&fr_id=1610

The second part, is something you need to know. It's about a tragedy that has been going on for years, and continues to spread it's flames even now.

What would you do if you child was stolen from you? And if you don't have kids, your brother, or sister.. cousin, nephew, niece, or best friend. What would you do? Imagine just for a brief, brutal second.. the anger you would have, the fear, and trauma you would experience... now imagine your child, cousin, sibling, or friend, was given a gun, and forced to fight.. forced to kill. It would be huge news, everyone would know, everyone would be there to help.

Now, imagine.. that no one did anything.. no one was there to help.. how would you feel? What would you do?

There is a man, and his name is Joseph Kony.

"Joseph Kony considers himself quite a good Christian, and he wants Uganda to be a Christian nation. So in 1987 he formed a resistance group called the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), and the LRA has been at civil war against the Ugandan government ever since. If the LRA wins, Kony has promised that Uganda will become a theocracy, with laws based on the Biblical Ten Commandments.

Kony's LRA has kidnapped an estimated 20,000 children for use as fighters or sex slaves. As part of their initiation, these children are often required to kill their own parents, so they'll have no homes to return to. (It's not clear which of the Ten Commandments Kony's strategy is based on.) Once kidnapped, children are used as pack mules, carrying LRA supplies until they are too weak to walk, at which time they're killed or simply left to die. Kidnapped boys also serve as targets and decoys, sent to the front lines -- unarmed -- whenever the Ugandan Army engages the LRA. Kidnapped girls that Kony or his senior commanders find attractive become their "wives" (Kony is reputed to have 60). Troublesome captives have their noses, lips, and/or ears cut off, and are then made to eat their own flesh." (http://www.nndb.com/people/398/000022332/)

Are you disgusted yet? Are you horrified? Angry? Heartbroken? How do we allow this to keep going, once we know of the horrible things this man has done? Could you even think to imagine what would happen if this happened to someone you knew, let alone a child of your own flesh and blood? I'm not asking you to imagine to hurt you, but to make you uncomfortable to make you angry so that you will rise up and allow your emotions to start a fire in your heart to do something!

I am writing this with tears in my eyes. My heart is being broken by what breaks Gods, and this is tearing His heart to pieces! By heart is breaking for what I had no idea of. My heart aches for the families who's children have been forced from their arms in the night, and for the children who have become hopeless, and forced to do something so unimaginable... I am so angry, so angry to do something. I'm frustrated by the hesitation we have to help. I'm heartbroken by what our world has come to. I am in rage as I hear of the innocent lives being shattered by one man "who is not fighting for any cause, but only to maintain his power". I am in tears as I am told of what just one person is doing in the world. Please, i'm begging you, stand up and fight. Join the army of peace to defeat Kony and save the children who are abducted and forced to kill.

I know this video is long, but please, spend the time to sit down and watch it. It's worth it. Please watch the video, to know the truth, otherwise you won't be able to understand. It's not a scam, it's not something to force anyone into religion, it's something to make you aware.

So do something! I dare you.

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/37119711]