I WILL NOT PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE | Teen Ink

I WILL NOT PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE

By wake.up.to.a.dream BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee
wake.up.to.a.dream BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee

"we all have our own battle scars. it's whether or not you choose to wear them with pride that dictates whether or not you're truly beautiful."
--me

i will not pledge my allegiance to the flag of a country so filled with torture and pain and suffering and prejudice. i will not pledge my allegiance to the flag of a country that refuses to believe that we have our own issues, before trying to solve a civil war overseas that doesn't concern us. i will not pledge my allegiance to the flag of a country that sends out countless unsuspecting men and women to their deaths in the name of honour, while the big men on top smoke their cigars, in the driver's seat of bentleys, cheering on, "good job." I WILL NOT PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE TO AMERICA'S FLAG, but i will stand and place my hand gently over my heart in respect of those who HAVE died for this place, in the hopes of making it a better one. REMEMBERANCE IS KEY, AND MOST AMERICANS ARE LOCKED OUT...

in my honours english class, my peers have grown to look forward to my so-called "governmental rants," because they are the secret truth, the one that no-one likes to talk about.