Political Honesty

Until individuals demonstrate character and moral literacy, we cannot eliminate the anger and disrespect in political debate. Although some would recommend forming policies that would force candidates to be more respectful, what we need is a more thorough teaching of the character trait, honesty, to this generation. To be honest is to be real, genuine, and authentic. Honest people express respect to themselves and others, while dishonest people do not. Consequently, politics today are based around the backbiting slandering of candidates. The future of politics depend on approaching moral and value-based generations.

Kids are taught with more emphasis on their achievements and accomplishments rather than their journey of becoming a person of integrity. American students take more than 100 million standardized tests a year that focus solely on students' academic achievements, while the building of moral character is often overlooked. Teachers feel achievement pressure because they are evaluated on how their students perform. Is it honest for them to focus only on performance rather than their students' character? Martin Luther King Jr. said, "We must remember that intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character- that is a goal of true education." By teaching honesty and stabilizing core values in the classroom first, curriculum will become more effective. Reinforcing honesty daily will bring good habits and build self esteem in kids.

People of good character are not always going to agree on the same side of political and social issues. Good people of integrity and moral literacy, can be conservative or liberal, but they'll be able to civilly interact with one another. Because candidates would have been taught core values, they won't rely on manipulation or revert to dishonesty. Only then will political debate be civil, respectful, and honest!