Obama's education plan

By , Homer, GA
Have you ever wondered if president Obama's year round school initiative would lower education in the U.S? If schools eliminated summer vacation and had longer school days there would be an accumulation in student dropout rates and American citizens struggling in todays economy. Not only that, but there would also be a decrease in family value, religous beleifs, and socialization outside of school.

Although some would argue that this initiative would increase test scores and foster global competition, data has revealed minimal gains in test scores from participating schools. If test sores do not increase and student dropout rates do then president Obama could be responsible for lowering educaion in the U.S. Also the United States is already struggling economically, and since schools would need more money for longer school, that would mean higher taxes and more American citizens in debt or out of a job.

Further more, others would argue that teacher burn-out would decrease with this initiative, however such premises would only devalue religious beleifs and time with family along with eliminating socialization outside of school. If students are always in school and never at home then they wont get the opportunity to become close with their family members. Also longer school days would interfere with religious beleifs, because students will not have enough time to study their religion. Plus socialization outside of school would be eliminated. If students stayed in school most of the time then they would never get a chance to meet new people outside of school.

In conclusion president Obama should not enforce his education initiative. If his initiative is passed then students would never get to experience what all life has to offer.

Jakethesnake said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:09 am
The drop out rate my decrease actually. The proposed plan would still only require 180 days. However, this would mean longer and more frequent breaks. Plus, it would be less stressful because so many days would be given to do whatever you want. The school year would last longer (that is if they increase the amount of days, which I hope they would). Also, how would it affect religous beliefs? So, schools go on for one more hour. Big deal. Get to learn more! Also, if we do not reform and learn to ... (more »)

Hellokittyrules98 replied...
First of it is three more hours a day Obama wants not one. That is how it would mess with religious beliefs for instance most churches start at 6:00 and 6:00 would about the time that school would be ending. Also there would not be any time for extra curricular activities because it would already be dark most of the time by 6:00 and no time for extra curricular activities would mean less scholerships for some people scholorships are the only way they can go to college. Not only that, but if taxe... (more »)

IntrepidRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:54 am
Nice piece. My only comment is on the last part. "In conclusion" isn't the best way to end a piece.

Jakethesnake replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:11 am
This was probably a research paper of sorts.