Media's Foundation

Corazon Aquino once said, “The media’s power is frail. Without the people’s support, it can be shut off with the ease of turning a light switch.” He believed that the media depended upon its viewers and that is true. Yet, it also seems as if the media has a much tighter control on its supporters than perceived. An alarming fact is that nowadays, citizens are less inclined to search for information. Rather, people want it brought to them, especially through the means of television news. Thus, those who absorb each smidgen of broadcasted information are the most susceptible to biased media. They will begin to believe what they hear and will not bother to check these supposed facts with another source. Unbiased, independent media can halt this growing trend. With unprejudiced media, a typically uneducated viewer can be informed through proper means. He can see the facts and form his own opinion on the matter. Giving the ability for a person to formulate a belief is the greatest gift that independent media possesses.
Society has regressed further and further into a state of lethargy. Education has declined and now, in the United States, where media is pervasive, the nation must vie to reach the standards of those such as China and India. Kids are less interested in academic activities and the nation revolves around superficial traditions like watching televised sports or award shows. Television and the internet, the two devices used to gather information, provide a foundation for people’s beliefs. Therefore, they must be rid of as much bias as possible.
Those who form distinct opinions based purely on facts can help diminish the divisions created in the United States, especially over politics. Biased media contributes to the warring between the general conservative and liberal factions. Several politicians, in fact, have uneducated views on society, but still, supporters wholeheartedly believe in these leaders. Media does not help to dissuade them. Rather, certain news companies laud or harshly criticize these politicians. Although difficult, if more citizens were to enlighten themselves on surely reliable facts, maybe bipartisanship would seem more feasible.
Yet, asking for all media to become unbiased and pure is ideological. Large corporations dominate the media business and keep it thriving in this modern age of technology. People who strive to become journalists or broadcasters are more interested in finding a job with a multimedia conglomerate rather working at a small company. Bias will continue in this country unless people begin to demand otherwise. In a sense, Corazon Aquino is right. Media thrives off its readers and viewers. A change can only occur if the people—the foundation of media—want it. Demanding a higher standard in news broadcasting can morph the image of the United States. It can increase educational standards and become a paradigm for other countries to follow. A more educated nation can proudly boast, but an ignorant nation must cower with shame.

IntrepidRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Ah . . . the media. It is one of the most powerful voices in society.

This is a great piece. Keep writing and keep forcing your voice to be heard.