Eww, Nuclear Poo! And More Horrifying Information About Nuclear Energy! | Teen Ink

Eww, Nuclear Poo! And More Horrifying Information About Nuclear Energy!

By Environmentor BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
Environmentor BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

"If there's a will, there's a way"

Did you know that you could get cancer from nuclear power plants? Did you also know that nuclear energy harms people and even kills them? These are the terrible effects of the criminal: nuclear energy. Nuclear energy is the procedure of uranium atoms splitting in a process called fission. It provides for about 6% of the world’s energy and there’s been a whole lot of arguing about whether it should still be used for energy.

Nuclear energy puts people and the environment in danger. It is absolutely crazy that the Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) still lets nuclear power plants run, even though it kills the surrounding environment. Clearly the boneheads at the EPA didn’t look at nuclear power plants effect on the environment closely enough.
Nuclear energy leaves a nasty waste behind. It’s just like someone going to the restroom and not flushing. The nuclear power plants just do the same thing to the environment. The substance that the power plant leaves behind is radioactive for thousands of years. Countries are “trying” to keep this substance in undergrounds havens, but our space for these havens is quickly depleting. Just an opinion, but I don’t think a little kid digging with a shovel in his backyard wants to die from radioactive waste put into the ground of thousands of years ago. Not just this little kid but gazillions of other people are dying.

You can get cancer from living near a nuclear power plant, (as you should know). Already millions of people are dying from this harmful disease; the world doesn’t need any more. You can also suffer from genetic mutation and radiation sickness, (as if cancer isn’t bad enough already!). Just imagine a person strolling down the street, then collapsing and having a very painful death. Sounds nice right? This is what happens when you get genetic mutations in the body. Now are you convinced that nuclear power plants are bad for you and the environment?

Well if not, I’m just going to prove it to you even more. In 1986, a major nuclear accident happened at Chernobyl, Ukraine. There was an estimate of about 30,000 deaths to 60,000 short term and long-term deaths. This was a wake up call to the world of how dangerous nuclear energy is. But I just don’t understand why the same boneheads in the EPA and everywhere else are not listening. There are still people five generations later who are deformed because of the radiation from Chernobyl. FIVE GENERATIONS LATER! That’s a long time.

My suggestion is to throw nuclear power plants and nuclear energy in the trash (if there was a trashcan that big), and to welcome alternative sources of energy. What isn’t there to like about in solar, wind, water, geothermal, tidal, and biomass energy? They’re renewable sources and they have close to zero impact on the environment. Okay, I have to be honest; they all have some problems, but way less than that loser nuclear energy! And anyways, if some time is given the renewable energies can become more refined and even better.

All nuclear power plants need to be shut down in the next decade. Nuclear energy has already done so much harm to the world, and we need to change to renewable energy. Because any day, renewable energy is ready to kick some serious nuclear energy butt.

Nuclear Energy is such a problem in society today, and I want to fix it. I want people to spread the word about the harms of nuclear energy, and to be more informed about other alternative sources of energy.