Occupy Wall Street | Teen Ink

Occupy Wall Street

Can you remember the wild hippies of the sixties?? Their marches and their sexuality and their drug use? I’m too young, and if you’re reading this, then you probably would be too. They were our age at the time, though. Young and free, the same way we all strive to be. They weren’t quite sure what they were rebelling against, which stopped them from accomplishing anything except a fashion trend and a new way of thinking. Some say that new wave of thinking changed everything, and if only adults could have been part of this movement, it would have had a more lasting impact. Of course, they couldn’t have. It was sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and we all known rebellion from society is by nature for the young, the teenagers who have a million bursting ideas running through their brains.
There is a new wave of thinking going on right know. It is not only for teenagers, because everyone can safely believe in it. This movement has showed that police aren’t always right, that the media censors things it doesn’t trust us with, and corporate greed needs to end.
It’s called Occupy Wall Street, and I believe in it. I think you should too. Go check it out.

My thoughts on Occupy Wall Street.

on Jan. 16 2012 at 9:43 am
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I agree in that everyone should have the right to speak their mind, to voice their opinions. After all, everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I don't necessarily agree with the way the Occupy Wall Street protesters are trying to show the world their message. Also, my dad happens to be part of the workforce they are protesting against, which only adds to my disagreement. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I think it's awesome that they're standing up to what society calls "the norm," I don't necessarily agree with the whole of their message, or how they're spreading it.

MidnightWriter SILVER, Ontario, Other

Writers are a less dangerous version of the career criminal. Everywhere they go, they see the potential for the perfect crime. The difference is that writers have better self control.

I really wanted to go down to Toronto and check out the protests there, but they cleared the park about a week and a half ago.

Wouldn't it be great if our generation could be as revolutionary as the generation of the 60's and 70's?

The world is ready for more change.