Why the Second Amendment is our Most important Right

By , Boulder, CO
SECOND AMENDMENT

A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment is the most important right, because the Second Amendment keeps the government from being able to impose tyranny. Also the Second Amendment gives people the right to protect themselves, without the government being able to take the right away. Last without the Second Amendment all the others are useless, it is a guarantee to the people that we have the right to bear arms, it keeps the government from taking a way our rights, because we can resist.

The Second Amendment gives us the power to oppose tyranny. It does so because no dictatorship would want to come to a country that can resist. Stated in the Cuba Constitution, “When no other recourse is possible, all citizens have the right to struggle through all means, including armed struggle, against anyone who tries to overthrow the political, social and economic order established in this Constitution." This is what our Second amendment gives us the right to do—protect our government. With the second amendment we can fight tyranny, but without it our government could be over thrown.

The Second amendment also gives us the power to protect ourselves, without the government being able to take it away. Stated in Article 10 of the Mexican Constitution, “The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have the right to possess arms within their domicile, for their safety and legitimate defense.” This is the same as our second amendment; it gives us the right to protect ourselves when our government cannot. The Second Amendment gives us the right to form a militia as protection, as well. Militias are used to protect our rights, security’s, and keeping the Constitution the law of our land. The second amendment is a way to protect us from foreign and domestic attacks, if the government won’t. Thomas Jefferson said, “For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well organized and armed militia is their best security.” This clearly shows that to remain free we must have the second amendment, as protection.

History is filled with stories of governments taking over unarmed people, without the second amendment this could happen to us, Germany is a clear example of this. With us armed we cannot be taken over. If gun control advocates win and only the police have weapons, then we could live in a dictatorship. Without the second amendment what will we be able to do, protest? If we are taken over and don’t have weapons, how will we resist. The Second Amendment is insurance against anything like this ever happening.
The right to maintain our freedom is the most important right; this is what the 2nd Amendment is making it the most important right.

gsteele said...
today at 12:05 pm
@tellyuhwhat Wow! So many things wrong - it's hard to know where to start. Suggestion: instead of writing a comment directly, write it in Word and run a spellcheck and grammar check before posting. Errors like using were instead of where, split infinitives, uncapitalized proper nouns, "ammendment," threw instead of through, in lued of instead of in lieu of, effectual instead of effective, and on and on, undermine the value of your post. Factual problems like categorizing the sinking of the ... (more »)

Mad Prophet said...
Mar. 10 at 12:15 pm
You know what I call someone banning any kind of gun from the public? A fear of freedom. And yes there are laws and regulations that restrict forms of freedom, but with democracy of any form we have the chance to stop what's happening, it doesn't need to be guns but everyone should know we have them, and even with all of our guns there's plenty of places that have extreme gun laws that clearly don't do jack shit, among these would include places like Venezuela or El Salvador,... (more »)

Tellyuhwhat said...
Mar. 6 at 1:46 pm
I believe it is important to also remember that the second amendment has not prevented the government from imposing tyranny in the past. Everything from the sinking of the lusitania, to the creation of the 16th ammendment. We no longer live in a time were people have to fight you in order to control you. That is done threw propaganda, and the laws you already are forced to follow. Most of which are important, but many of them are all supporting a agenda. And are imposed in lued of unpopularity a... (more »)

Mick said...
Feb. 20 at 5:49 pm
Well stated and some good points, but remember, neither the second amendment nor The Constitution itself GIVE us any rights. We HAVE these rights. The Constitution simply declares that this government may NOT infringe upon those rights, and any government that does is invalid and to be opposed.

Haggisman said...
Great read. Inspirational to those who will find similar circumstances.

1337Writer said...
It is the most important right of today (back then religious freedom was more important since people were killing each other over that) If we were allowed to carry guns on a plane 9/11 wouldn't happen.

Trixie.B.Rose replied...
Yep. I wrote this article to give people an idea of why the 2nd amendment is so important. I mean many people think it is so useless today and that the most important right is the freedom of speech, but without the right to have weapons how would we keep our right to speech. It's like the ultimate secutrity net or insurance we can have against our government and other governments.