How Do They Feel?

I wish I had a heroic story to tell. I wish I was there, amidst the rubble and smoke, saving innocent lives while the media captured my every move. I wish I was there with a video camera, recoding a historic documentary that would be put on every news channel in the country. I wish I was there, advising Mayor Giuliani about the attacks and how he should respond. I wish I was there, at the World Trade Center, feeling the adrenaline pulse through my veins on 9/11.

God, I’m so naïve. Why am I wishing for those things? The people that experienced the terrorist attacks on that horrific day were going through a living hell on September 11. I don’t want to experience that. I don’t want to save the lives of the victims and be put on the television. I don’t even want to imagine being there, at the World Trade Center, on 9/11.

God, I’m so naïve. I should want to be there and save the victims; be a hero. But I don’t. I don’t want anything to do with 9/11. I just want to block it out, pretend it never happened. But that makes me sound naïve. I can’t win, I am always so naïve.

I don’t even have an interesting story to tell about that day. I was just a normal 1st grader, wandering around the school, wondering why all of the teachers were crying. I slowly pieced together a simple explanation of what had happened as the day slowly went on. When I got home, my parents told me about the attacks. They told me about how the evil men killed a bunch of people by crashing airplanes into tall buildings. So, then I innocently asked my mom, “I thought metal was invincible. Does this mean that metal bend metal?” Oh, I soon learned that metal can do a lot more than bend metal. God, I was so naïve.

I still don’t know everything about the attacks. Last year, I wrote a fictional series of short stories that chronicles the fateful day of a World Trade Center employee. I got almost all of the facts about the attacks wrong. I described that the smoke in the buildings was clear enough that people could see through it. In fact, I didn’t even realize that the Twin Towers fully collapsed! God, I’m so naïve!

However, at least I’m not ignorant. I wish I could say the same about other people. Lately, I have been hearing rumors that the terrorist attacks were staged by the United States government. People have been scrutinizing the video evidence from the attacks and saying that a plane never hit the Pentagon and that bombs had been planted inside the Twin Towers. Those people are too ignorant to believe in George Bush, the President that they voted for. Those people are too ignorant to watch Bin Laden’s terrorist tapes in which he rants about the attacks and how successful they were. Those people, more than anything, are too ignorant to take a hard, solid look at the victims of that tragic day. How do the victims feel? How do they honestly feel?

I don’t know if the attacks were staged. I don’t even know most of the facts about the attacks. However, on thing that I do know is that thousands of people were killed on that tragic day. Thousands of families lost a loved one on that tragic day. Millions more were emotionally scarred on that tragic day. How do they feel? How do they feel when people tell them that the attacks weren’t real, that they were staged? More appropriately, how would You feel if You were one of those people that lost someone on that tragic day?

Think about it. Think about it long and hard, because You may be one of the people that fall victim to the next “staged” attack. How would You feel?

I don’t think the attacks were staged. I have as much of a right to my opinion as you do to yours. You can believe what you want but, God, you’re so naïve.

satellite23 said...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm:
And thanks to all who read this to push it toward 600 views. Next up, 700!!!!! :)

Maggie99 said...
Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm:
That was a well-written article. Unlike most, it is personal and includes a lot of your own emotion. That's the way it should be - it helps create your voice. Good job.

satellite23 replied...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm :
Thanks Maggie! I love using my emotion to fuel my writing, that's what makes it good! If a piece of art doesn't have emotion, then it means nothing.

KatelynHanksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:00 pm:
I loved this! !!!! I lived near DC when this happend i was in kindergarden ! Awesome job. Check out osme of my work.

satellite23 replied...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm :
Thanks Katelyn! I'll be sure to check out a few of your pieces soon!

Ms.Attitude06 said...
Simply Awsum! :O

satellite23 replied...
Jan. 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm :
thanks for commenting and rating

satellite23 said...
Thanks all who commented!

RunningNDfree said...
You basically put all of my thoughts on 9/11 into this. It's sickening how people think it's staged and how they are so ignorant. Until 7th grade I didn't know much about it either....I was 4 when it happened, but I can still remember the news broadcast. With all the background behind it, people should know the truth about it. But it's sad that they don't.

WolfofDarkness said...
Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this has made me think and relieved me. Thank you for writing this. it's fantastic

CarrieAnn13 said...
Excellent article on a touchy subject! I love how you repeat the line '...I was so naive.' and use it at the end of your article as well. I really have no criticism for this because your spelling and grammar are excellent and you don't dwell on one topic for too long. Great job and keep writing!

Little.Miss said...
This was pretty good. Deep, and pretty well-written.

satellite23 replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm :
Thank you.