Education Towards a Peaceful World | Teen Ink

Education Towards a Peaceful World

By julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Have you ever watched little Lion cubs play-fighting at the zoo or seen a zebra foal interacting with its surroundings? Animals learn how to survive and reach independence in the world through their surroundings, their parents and other animals. Humans do the same thing, just on a more intellectually advanced level. In this quickly evolving age, people not only need to learn how to survive, but also to flourish and prosper in a competitive society. School is a powerful tool for success, it is what prepares us for independence and maturity and that is why it needs to be funded and maintained, more so than many other ventures, especially war.

War. The word makes me shiver with the horror of its cruel reality. What has the world come to if more money is being provided for military purposes than for education? School opens up the pathway to knowledge and to fulfillment while war is just an agent of revenge and power. Are we really so different from the vicious territorial mammals that roam the Savannah? The only real difference is the fact that our “claws” are guns and missiles. Our “claws” have the potential to damage not only ourselves but everything else that shares our world. If an advanced alien race was to look upon our planet and see all the war and destruction, they would bear witness to an immature civilization, separated from the animals only by our ability to harness more powerful tools of devastation.

The path to societal enhancement lies in education and knowledge. As we learn more about other cultures and beliefs we discover that instead of being completely alien, they are rather similar. This is how we grow and share ideas and mature as a united world. We live on the same planet; we are all related to one another. Through knowledge and understanding we can more deeply understand each other and reach a more peaceful world. This is why schooling is so important and why ignorance is NOT bliss. What happens when we are ignorant? War and hatred and mistrust occur. All of these hinder any movement towards peace and enlightenment.

In our world today education is extremely vital. It helps us learn to question wrong ideas and actions. It is a sure path to a unified world, a world where everybody is accepted and loved. It is also the path towards the absence of war and hatred. Knowledge is important. Take advantage of it. Read, write, share your ideas, dance, love the world and others. Learn, and be at peace.

I believe that through education and understanding, the world will become a more peaceful place.

Philosophication GOLD, McKinney, Texas

"This above all: To thine own self be true."
William Shakespeare's Hamlet

"To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."
Miscellaneous

Very good points! I would, however, like to say that animals are not actually that savage. Sure, they attack for food, or for protection, but they do not ACTIVELY go looking for a fight, like we do. And animals take only what is needed. They naturally leave enough for the others. It's only when humans enter the mix do bad things happen. P.s. Julian, I think you would really enjoy Ismael by Daniel Quinn. That is, if you haven't already.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Seriously! Would that cover the debt? I wonder.

When will adults ever get their priorities straight?

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the great feedback! Yeah, alliteration is always good, but if you overdo it, it becomes too obvious in an amateurish way. But maybe I could have added more. I'll remember your feedback!

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Thank you so much for the uplifting comment! yeah, I do agree that changes need to be made to the school system. Like drastic changes. Right now I'm having painful times because my school is lacking in funding, and therefore an AP course is at the same time as Drama 2, which I really want to do. However, my counselor says I need to stay in the AP course in order to achieve my college aims. So that means no more Drama 2 for me!! And this could have been averted if the school got more funding, which would be possible if the war was stopped. I recently read that 1.8 trillion dollars could be saved in the next ten years if all our military funding was ended!! THat's mind-boggling!!

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

You make a very good point, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. However, I really think that we need to revamp the entire educational system. I don't really think it teaches kids how to really think, or how to learn on their own.

This is an incredibly good piece, it's engaging, interesting, and I think that it really describes your opinion in a kind, informative, and relatable way

owkey BRONZE said...
owkey BRONZE, Markham, Other

Hey

-Owkey

Great piece man just a few grammar bits here and there. Truthfully I would have liked you to expand on some ideas but I guess it's not always possible for magazines XD Overall good stuff bro.

Ryan. BRONZE said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 9:29 am
Ryan. BRONZE, Bel Air, Maryland

"Are you worth the choices you make? Life is to short to let others dictate your actions. Then who is living your life? You? Or them?"

-Mr. A

very well written. Ideas are spot on. Diction is constant. Only thing i saw is you has some points in the article you could have forced alliteration with " War hatred and mistrust occur." by saying "War wrongdoing and waste are begot from the wanning of the human conscious." says the same thing but adds alliteration to make it stand out to the reader more. The clawing was very good :) You could have had one more sentence with claws but still good. Ideas are tied together at the end. Overall a great piece.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

I enjoyed reading this as it was ariculate and very well said I like the concpt that you mentioned and it's an overall well-opinionated piece.

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you agree with the idea behind the article. I have also been puzzling over the last thing you said though.  I'm not sure I know what the question lead is, and how being a journalist makes you dislike it. Could you explain that more clearly? Thanks!

Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois

Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

I like the idea behind this article and I agree with everything you said.

I'm not a fan of the question lead, but that's b/c I'm a journalist! XD 

ChelzRulz SILVER, Sparta, New Jersey

"You can turn off the sun, but I'm still gonna shine." - Jason Mraz
"Life is a rollercoaster, live it, be happy, enjoy life." -Avril Lavigne
"The answer is wrong, but I luv you!" - Mrs. Spelman
"Carpe Diem- seize the day!!" -Mrs. Spelman

I think that is so true, more so because my mom is a teacher and I would like to be one when i grow up.  Unfortunately, Government Christie (because I live in NJ) has made education difficult.. Great job!