Homosexuality: Yay or Nay | Teen Ink

Homosexuality: Yay or Nay

June 5, 2011
By Anonymous

=Every day thousands of homosexuals discriminated against. Whether it’s in a school setting, individual rights, or just mean jokes that people think are “harmless”. Should people be penalized for who they love and is being gay okay? According to many people, homosexuality is unacceptable and a sin. Homosexuals should not be discriminated against due to peoples’ depictions of the right morals.

Homosexuality. What is it? And why are people so against it? Well, according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, a homosexual is “of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex ”(“homosexual”). The census in America from the year 2000 states that there are 105.5 million households in America. Of those 105.5 million households, 5.5 million are unmarried relationships, and of that 5.5 million, 595,000 are same-sex partnerships(www.avert.org). There are thousands of gays being withheld of rights that heterosexuals receive.

In 44 of the 50 states in America, gay marriage is illegal. I understand that Christians believe that the Bible states that homosexuality is wrong and the penalty should be death. But, this confuses me because God is also supposed to love everyone and forgive them for their sins. People do believe that homosexuality is a sin and that it is a choice which can be reversed. I myself do not believe that gay people would choose to be made fun of, be treated unequal, and not be allowed to love who they want. Many beg to differ with my opinion , though, such as the people at the Westboro Baptist Church.

A while back when I took a trip in to New York City, I passed by some protesters. They were walking around on Broadway Avenue with signs saying rude things like “God Hates Fags” , “Fags Die, God Laughs”, and other sayings inappropriate for the public eye, and in my opinion, inappropriate in any situation. The “masterminds” behind this reside in Topeka, Kansas and attend a Baptist church, the Westboro Baptist Church, which goes by “WBC” (God Hates Fags). Just recently, (March 2,2011) this organization was taken to the Supreme Court regarding their picketing outside of a funeral of a deceased Marine Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder. But since the law must protect their first amendment right, freedom of speech, the verdict was not guilty (Barnes).

I myself am a straight, non-religious person, but I believe that there is no harm in people having sexual orientations other than my own. For example, homosexuality. But, studies have shown that people whose religions preach anti-homosexuality are against it. As well as religious reasons, like the people of the Westboro Baptist Church, there are public figures blatantly against homosexuality and their union. For example, Donald Trump. This famous, well-known man has publicly stated that he “is not in favor of gay marriage”. (Rahn) The lack of support in their lives leaves them depressed and suicidal. Lesbians, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are 30 to 40 percent more likely to commit suicide(DiversityInc). As for religion, statistics show that of all the ministers in the United States, 93% feel that homosexuality should not be religiously recognized as an acceptable lifestyle. It mentions in the old testament of the Bible that any homosexual activity is repulsive, unaccepted, and the punishment should be death(ProQuest). The Muslem and Mormon religions do not even let openly gay people join their church whereas Buddhists often embrace openly gay people!(Marcus)

Due to the fact that I live in such a small town, I have not been exposed to many different cultures or religions. Most of the people here practice Christianity and I know both Christians who support and do not support homosexuality which leads me to believe that it all boils down to politics and the way people have been brought up to think. For example, peoples’ upbringings in Alabama are much different than the upbringings here on Long Island. The South are thought to be very conservative. The top ten Republican states are in the South.(Jones) Conservatives enjoy traditional views and values and since the “issue” of homosexuality has just recently become a big deal, most of them are against it. Whereas liberals are more for homosexuality. I consider myself a liberal because I feel that everyone, no matter their sexual orientation, should have equal rights.

Though there are many non-supporters of the homosexual community, there are many active supporters. For example, Ellen Degeneres who is a lesbian herself and Eminem, who told the New York Times that if two people are in love, then they should be able to. Also, groups like LGBT. They are a support group for Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transgender people. Also, there are many people like Kevin Jennings who support them through literature. In the book Homosexuality. Opposing Viewpoints. which contains many authors’ viewpoints on why we should support or not support homosexuals. Kevin Jennings wrote about his experiences and how we should put emphasis on homosexuals in school.

Can gay people have children? This controversy is a sure-fire way to get someone’s blood boiling in the heat of a debate! Personally, I think that homosexuals should be able to live life in the same ways that heterosexuals do. Getting an egg donor or sperm donor should be just as accessible for gays and lesbians as infertile heterosexual couples. Also, anyone who passes the background check for adoption should be able to adopt in my opinion. And, in many other peoples’ opinions as well such as a blogger who goes by the pseudonym of “allonym” on blog spot “Nairaland“. She brought up the relevant point that some say homosexual parents will raise another homosexual which will screw up the Adam and Eve theory. I’ve even heard the phrase “It’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.” But, heterosexual parents have also raised homosexual children! So, in my opinion, and many others’, there is no argument there! Gay people should have the opportunities to live as anyone else!

The “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy is a law that was passed by Congress in 1993 and said that as long as you are not openly gay, you can serve in the military. “’Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is a tribute to our national talent for hypocrisy.” said Bowman. A poll was taken and the result was that 10 percent of the 58% of military servicemen would leave the service if gays were allowed to serve openly and 14 percent would contemplate leaving. Why does the presence of a homosexual compromise one’s morale and means to serve? I think that whoever has enough courage to want to serve our country in the most heroic way should be embraced, and not turned away. No matter what race, sexual orientation, gender, and the list goes on. But, some people are just stubborn and will believe what they are told to believe in their life.

Once again, homosexuality has become a big controversy throughout the world. There are many people who support homosexuals and there are many people on the other side of the fence, who do not support them at all. Their reasons all boil down to religious reasons, upbringing, location, and just opinions.

The author's comments:
This is the first research paper I've written.