Homosexuality: Yay or Nay | Teen Ink

Homosexuality: Yay or Nay

=Every day thousands of homosexuals discriminated against. Whether it’s in a school setting, individual rights, or just mean jokes that people think are “harmless”. Should people be penalized for who they love and is being gay okay? According to many people, homosexuality is unacceptable and a sin. Homosexuals should not be discriminated against due to peoples’ depictions of the right morals.

Homosexuality. What is it? And why are people so against it? Well, according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, a homosexual is “of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex ”(“homosexual”). The census in America from the year 2000 states that there are 105.5 million households in America. Of those 105.5 million households, 5.5 million are unmarried relationships, and of that 5.5 million, 595,000 are same-sex partnerships(www.avert.org). There are thousands of gays being withheld of rights that heterosexuals receive.

In 44 of the 50 states in America, gay marriage is illegal. I understand that Christians believe that the Bible states that homosexuality is wrong and the penalty should be death. But, this confuses me because God is also supposed to love everyone and forgive them for their sins. People do believe that homosexuality is a sin and that it is a choice which can be reversed. I myself do not believe that gay people would choose to be made fun of, be treated unequal, and not be allowed to love who they want. Many beg to differ with my opinion , though, such as the people at the Westboro Baptist Church.

A while back when I took a trip in to New York City, I passed by some protesters. They were walking around on Broadway Avenue with signs saying rude things like “God Hates Fags” , “Fags Die, God Laughs”, and other sayings inappropriate for the public eye, and in my opinion, inappropriate in any situation. The “masterminds” behind this reside in Topeka, Kansas and attend a Baptist church, the Westboro Baptist Church, which goes by “WBC” (God Hates Fags). Just recently, (March 2,2011) this organization was taken to the Supreme Court regarding their picketing outside of a funeral of a deceased Marine Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder. But since the law must protect their first amendment right, freedom of speech, the verdict was not guilty (Barnes).

I myself am a straight, non-religious person, but I believe that there is no harm in people having sexual orientations other than my own. For example, homosexuality. But, studies have shown that people whose religions preach anti-homosexuality are against it. As well as religious reasons, like the people of the Westboro Baptist Church, there are public figures blatantly against homosexuality and their union. For example, Donald Trump. This famous, well-known man has publicly stated that he “is not in favor of gay marriage”. (Rahn) The lack of support in their lives leaves them depressed and suicidal. Lesbians, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are 30 to 40 percent more likely to commit suicide(DiversityInc). As for religion, statistics show that of all the ministers in the United States, 93% feel that homosexuality should not be religiously recognized as an acceptable lifestyle. It mentions in the old testament of the Bible that any homosexual activity is repulsive, unaccepted, and the punishment should be death(ProQuest). The Muslem and Mormon religions do not even let openly gay people join their church whereas Buddhists often embrace openly gay people!(Marcus)

Due to the fact that I live in such a small town, I have not been exposed to many different cultures or religions. Most of the people here practice Christianity and I know both Christians who support and do not support homosexuality which leads me to believe that it all boils down to politics and the way people have been brought up to think. For example, peoples’ upbringings in Alabama are much different than the upbringings here on Long Island. The South are thought to be very conservative. The top ten Republican states are in the South.(Jones) Conservatives enjoy traditional views and values and since the “issue” of homosexuality has just recently become a big deal, most of them are against it. Whereas liberals are more for homosexuality. I consider myself a liberal because I feel that everyone, no matter their sexual orientation, should have equal rights.

Though there are many non-supporters of the homosexual community, there are many active supporters. For example, Ellen Degeneres who is a lesbian herself and Eminem, who told the New York Times that if two people are in love, then they should be able to. Also, groups like LGBT. They are a support group for Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transgender people. Also, there are many people like Kevin Jennings who support them through literature. In the book Homosexuality. Opposing Viewpoints. which contains many authors’ viewpoints on why we should support or not support homosexuals. Kevin Jennings wrote about his experiences and how we should put emphasis on homosexuals in school.

Can gay people have children? This controversy is a sure-fire way to get someone’s blood boiling in the heat of a debate! Personally, I think that homosexuals should be able to live life in the same ways that heterosexuals do. Getting an egg donor or sperm donor should be just as accessible for gays and lesbians as infertile heterosexual couples. Also, anyone who passes the background check for adoption should be able to adopt in my opinion. And, in many other peoples’ opinions as well such as a blogger who goes by the pseudonym of “allonym” on blog spot “Nairaland“. She brought up the relevant point that some say homosexual parents will raise another homosexual which will screw up the Adam and Eve theory. I’ve even heard the phrase “It’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.” But, heterosexual parents have also raised homosexual children! So, in my opinion, and many others’, there is no argument there! Gay people should have the opportunities to live as anyone else!

The “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy is a law that was passed by Congress in 1993 and said that as long as you are not openly gay, you can serve in the military. “’Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is a tribute to our national talent for hypocrisy.” said Bowman. A poll was taken and the result was that 10 percent of the 58% of military servicemen would leave the service if gays were allowed to serve openly and 14 percent would contemplate leaving. Why does the presence of a homosexual compromise one’s morale and means to serve? I think that whoever has enough courage to want to serve our country in the most heroic way should be embraced, and not turned away. No matter what race, sexual orientation, gender, and the list goes on. But, some people are just stubborn and will believe what they are told to believe in their life.

Once again, homosexuality has become a big controversy throughout the world. There are many people who support homosexuals and there are many people on the other side of the fence, who do not support them at all. Their reasons all boil down to religious reasons, upbringing, location, and just opinions.

This is the first research paper I've written.

1337Writer BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

PIE FLAVOR! -asdf movie

Don't care, everyone has a right to themselves. As long as they don't push their agenda on me personally, they can have their freedom. People are best left alone.

Jetsrock10210 SILVER, Briarcliff, New York

Hi!

I really liked this article. I noticed that you mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church. I recently wrote an op-ed for my school paper on the subject and posted the article on teenink. TeenInk.com/opinion/current_events_politics/article/347050/A-Condemnation-of-Hatred/ I'd really appreciate any feedback that you have! thanks!

Archy said...
Archy, Honolulu, Hawaii

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone"
~Robin Williams

I honestly dont have a problem with Homosexuality. Never has been a concern for me. Dont look at other people differently if they are homosexuals. What I do hate though is the big deal everybody makes it. I hate the people that condem it because it isnt something they are used too. The people that support it should just turn the other cheek and forget those condeming it. So in answer to your question.................Yay.

niimabear said...

Actually, the bible does not state that gay people should be discriminated against, nor killled in this day and age. All peoples in the early stages of humanity guilty of sexual sin were stoned- it was used to weed out "sin" in the communities. Not just gay individuals. And most of the time, homosexuality was not looked to as a sin worthy of death. For example, there is a passage in the bible that talks about angels coming to someones house (i cannot remember whom) and the men of that town asking the homeowner to send out the angelic men so that 'they could have sex with them'. Yet the angels didn't go outside and yell down curses on the 'evil, gay men'

Christianity is often looked upon as those who represent it- like people who treat homosexual people in a wrong matter. When you look at the facts, God tells us to treat 'your neighbour as you would yourself'
Heck, Jesus came to be amongst the sinners! He dined and lived amongst them. I just wanted to point out that the illtreatment is NOT found in God, it is found in the individual no matter the religion.

That being said, the bible (which is god's word) Does say homosexual acts are sin. What a lot of people miss is that god doesn't say you are terrible andare going to hell for being tempted with sin. Alot of people also dont realize that homosexual thoughts and desires and such are not "made up" and are very real. It is like sexual desires between a man and a woman- those desires happen. It is what you do with those desires that make it sinful.

I just wanted to point that out, because it makes me sad that people see the way homosexual people are treated by SOME christians and automatically decide taht God is the instigator. The way people sometimes act and the way God wants us two are completely separate things most of the time.