A Death for A Death

Like a pitiful circus animal,
the defendant sat.

Accused of first degree premeditated murder,

of a little girl.

The news crews going wild,

A VERDICT REACHED!
A VERDICT REACHED!
What fun!

People frantically buying tickets,
to watch,

This decision of life and death.

They want to watch the raw emotions,

like their daily soaps,
just better.

How low can society get?

To find entertainment,
in the death penalty?

The verdict read.

Not guilty.

The defendant weeps.
The defense overjoyed.
Celebration from them.

Disbelief from the prosecutors,
the police men,

who toiled endlessly on this case.

The defendant grins,

relief and happiness.

and for a moment it seems...

The dead little girl bothers her no more.

M0429 said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm:
this would refer to casey anthony yes? you say that her daughter no longer 'bothers' her, did she ever? and why couldnt she have been tried in texas?

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 12:35 am:
I don't know much about this case, but your opinion makes sense, and you show it clearly in this poem. I do think it a little more detail would do it wonders. Other than that, this is really good :)

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:54 am :
Thanks, Garnet! Your crits are so helpful!

DanealleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:13 pm:

This is very well written! As a journalist I can understand the medias insanity. 

I think this could use a little bit more detail. Like when u say "raw emotions" show them to me, don't tell me. 

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:53 am :
Thank you. And I will definately change that!

TrilobiteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:29 am:
I think a great majority of the people would be able to relate!  This was a really sad and shocking case, I'm glad you captured the moments of the final verdict.  The last line was perfect.

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:00 am :
Thanks so much.

JustAnotherOwl said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm:
This whole case really upset me! This was a great poem! It's so true! You are extremely talented!

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm :
Owl Thank you so much! :)

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm:
Great poem!  I like how you grouped together some lines.  And I especially like the last line: "The dead little girl bothers her no more."  Yeah, suddenly now that she's 'innocent', she doesn't care about her own child being dead.  Shame on her!

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm :
I literally wrote this as I watched. And it honestly took zero imagination. It really should be in the non-fiction section.