our future | Teen Ink

our future

Introductory Letter:

Today in the news, much time is dedicated to our struggling economy. What appears to b at the forefront of those concerns is that because of the poor economy now, our future will be in jeopardy. They say that the world that me and my peers will grow up in will not be as great as the world that our parents grew up in. I will explore this idea and provide a different opinion. That is for a theme, it is up to us to change this, and my theme will be our generation’s future. If we act right, what people are saying will not hold true for our generation. It may be tough, but we can overcome it. I find this theme to be particularly significant because of the fact that in a few days, we will be in the real world, and therefore we can start to change this. We will be branching off into another part of life, one where our nation’s future prosperity will be directly in our hands.

Our Generation’s Future
(Non-fiction)
Each day I drive home along a road filled with small businesses.
One afternoon, something different came to mind. I began to think of recent television reports and newspaper stories about how the entrepreneurial spirit in America appears to be waning. The owners of these small to mid-size businesses I drive by are aging and few younger people are able or willing to take a chance on buying them. Economists say that those businesses are the backbone of our economy and will be the cure for today’s economic woes. Writers and television pundits lament that my generation will be burdened with debt. There are also stories about how my generation might not be up to the task of running businesses and governments. Experts worry that we are too self-centered, too privileged and coddled to make it in the “real” world. With all of this swirling in my brain, I realized that maintaining America’s entrepreneurial spirit is my generation’s responsibility and I wondered if we are ready for that job.

America is a country founded on the idea of entrepreneurism. Since our country’s inception, we have followed this model, and have reaped the benefits. American children are brought up to believe that anything is possible. One’s future is not limited by the circumstances of their parents. Through education, initiative and hard work anyone of us can become the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

Without a strong entrepreneurial spirit, our economy would not thrive the way it does today. Successful entrepreneurs not only benefit themselves, but the larger economy reaps some of the benefits. Some of our country’s largest, most profitable companies (Microsoft, Apple, McDonalds, Exxon Mobil, Goldman Sachs etc.) are also some of our country’s biggest employers, both directly and indirectly. Innovations led by these companies have increased the efficiency of things we use every day. In fact, had Steve Jobs not taken a chance on Apple, there is a good chance I wouldn’t be handing in this paper like this.

What troubles me, though, is the suggestion that entrepreneurism is on the wane and Americans, particularly the younger generation, no longer value this system. With the recent economic recession, the media would have us believe that the ambitious, entrepreneurial attitude of our citizens that has driven our country to its current role as a global economic leader, is no longer relevant. This recession, they say, is a sign of things to come in the future. My experience is different. I believe that this entrepreneurial spirit abounds. My friends and I are good examples.

If we are to keep the entrepreneurial spirit that drives our economy, there are several things we must do. We must continue to encourage creativity amongst our youth. Also, we must not punish and over-regulate successful entrepreneurs, as they are the driving force for our economy. Finally, innovation must be rewarded in order to ensure it continues.

If we truly are a lazy generation, the economists may be right. Entrepreneurialism is vital to a successful economy and ultimately to our future. By taking certain steps, we can reverse the current trend. The next Google or Coca-Cola will surely lead the way for the United State’s economy in the 21st century, and I am confident that it will be people in my generation who make this happen. What will be at the heart of all these future companies will be people who carried out the entrepreneurial spirit of that those such as Ray Kroc or Bill Gates had. Who knows, they may even be sitting next to me right now.

A Success
(Drama)
Setting: A billionaire businessman giving speech to recent high school graduates
Host: It is with great pleasure that I now introduce our keynote speaker
Billionaire Businessman: Hello everyone. It would first like to thank everyone for coming. It is not often that I talk to people of your age and for that I am grateful. I know everyone has graduation parties to be attending, so I will try to keep my remarks brief. If I could have one thing in this world, I would pick to be in your shoes right now. You are all seventeen and eighteen year old kids, and you have your whole lives in front of you. I now look back on my life and can see that that was the best time of my life. You guys have all the opportunities in the world, and all that you have to do is to take advantage of them. If you put your minds to it, I still truly believe that this generation can accomplish anything that it wants to. When I was sitting in your shoes, I remember hearing the same kinds of critiques. We were told that the soviets would overtake us and that our age of prosperity was nearing an end. But, it was through hard work and ambition of others in my generation that has led our economy and our nation to become strong. When I look out at our country and our future economy, I happen to like what I see. Although the brands of yesterday like Coca-Cola and Mcdonald’s may not have much growth in the future, a whole new slew of developing companies are beginning to make a stake in the 21st century America. When I see companies like Facebook, Apple, and Netflix, it gives me more of a reason to believe in your generation. These companies will be your generation’s General Electrics’. Finally, I will end by answering a question that I am often asked. That is, how do people achieve extraordinary success in what they do? The answer to that is simple. That is you must take risks, and never take your eye off the ball. If you are willing to do that, the sky truly is the limit. And if were to making investments, which I am, I would be betting on the future of this county, for the simple reason of the people I see in this room. Thank you so much for having me, and may you all have successful lives.
(Crowd roars in Applaud)

Our Time
(Poem)
From everyone today
Whom we hold
With such high regard
They too have been us
They’ve made it happen

The future is ours
Now we must seize
Put in the long hours
End this terrible freeze

We can win
We can lose
But I hope we win
Because I’m no fool