Welfare is Destructive | Teen Ink

Welfare is Destructive

By randomblah357 BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky
randomblah357 BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky

'We cannot know anything without knowing everything.'

Welfare was established long ago in the New Deal policies that came about during the period of time F.D.R was in power. Its purpose was to get people on their feet. It was relief to pull those in need from debt and the clutches of the Great Depression. It ended up fulfilling its purpose, and for a long time, it worked. People only took it when needed. It worked in a more moralistic and proud people. It brought America out of the depression and made our nation stronger. What can be said about us now?

America is in debt again. Ironically by what saved us in the first place. Welfare has become well, the new plastic surgery. Everyone seems to be getting it, and some get it to get plastic surgery. Unfortunately the nation has taken a good thing and has exploited and abused the system. The bad part is, is the U.S. gets its fund for welfare from the taxes of its people. The people working hard get taxed while people not working get their money. While welfare used to bring the country together, making a safety net for a spare amount of people, that new is now overflowing like a pot of crabs on Deadliest Catch. Unfortunately welfare has a profound effect on our treasury.

About twenty billion dollars of our internal spending was in Welfare alone in the year 2000. Including other internal government spending in areas such as Medicaid and other public welfare our internal spending was 1616.9 billion dollars. It also continues to grow. The problem isn’t getting better. It’s getting worse. The country spends more time paying for jobless and lazy people who can work, than the trillion dollar debt we have in China. The country is living off borrowed money.

Our own government can’t even decide what the budget for the year is anymore. We’ve almost had a government shutdown for goodness sakes. That possibly means hardworking soldiers and other government employees will lose jobs! But that’s alright, because anyone can apply for welfare now. Why work when you have money easily at your disposal at tax payer expense?

The reality is, while government programs helping those in need are a necessity, we can no longer provide for people whose laziness is dragging the country down. The country’s debt is worsening, not getting better. The world has changed. When change occurs, one must adapt to their surroundings. The United States must adapt from the people siphoning from the state, back to a more reliable and strong people, more self-sufficient. As President JFK has said, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”

Salty124 said...
on Nov. 21 2014 at 12:17 pm
good article

Maxgeorge2 said...
on Nov. 20 2014 at 12:15 pm
good job I liked how you expressed your feelings

Maxgeorge2 said...
on Nov. 20 2014 at 12:14 pm
good article

James Bond said...
on Nov. 18 2014 at 11:03 am
how long ago did u post this?