Immigration | Teen Ink

Immigration

March 31, 2011
By Anonymous

In the time of 1880 in the city of New York, immigration was a huge problem. Swarms of families would be coming in and they would look for jobs, houses, and schools for their kids. Since the population was increasing so much, there wasn’t enough room at the time and many immigrant families were forced to live in very small apartments with no sanitation or light. If I was alive during this time and had the power to change this, I would invest into some land and make apartments and schools for the immigrant families. With new land and new houses, it should be able to shelter majority of the immigrants and the schools would give them American education so they can have the same opportunities as Americans do.
For the facilities, I would make sure each individual apartment and school is sanitized, lighted, and have as good quality as the other schools in the country.
Yes this will take a lot of money but if I get immigrants into houses and educated, they would have opportunities to get jobs and be able to pay for rent in the apartments and help pay with the land I invested in for them. In the long run it would be a win/win situation and a much happier place for not just immigrants but for everyone.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 13 comments.


on May. 5 2011 at 1:21 am
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

How cares about statisics. You live in America right?, You'll never know what glasgow is like unless you've lived their. Statistics are not always right. Live in Glasgow, Figure out what your talking about, then maybe I'll relax, plus I also agree with you on the other point you made.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on May. 4 2011 at 6:02 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Not always. It depends on the country. The problem is for most third world countries, a lot of money is being made but the money doesn't get to the citizens. It get lost through corruption. The rich take it for themselves. I agree that those third world countries need guidance and their governments fixed. What I mean is, I don't think that first world countries should take in citizens of third world countries in. I think, us first world citizens with education, should get third world citizens educated and help them fix the government..I think we should help people help themselves. Can I just say something? I just googled Glasgow job statistics. The population in Glasgow is declining and the unemployment is 5% but there is expected to be 20% growth so I think you need to relax.  

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on May. 4 2011 at 5:52 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

What do you mean that Iranian culture and American culture are not equal? What are you trying to say? Why did you use Iran as an example? I am not Iranian, actually my country is very far away from Iran, it's on top of West Africa. Iranian culture is a very beautiful culture. Iran is actually a beautiful country. They have beautiful markets and beautiful clothes and great food... I don't see why you are hating! Don't judge by the dictator! I actually know two people who are from Iran and they are very nice! When you say you are sick of this -American nonsense, that is insulting to me because that's who I am! That's not true that we pledge to get rid of all foreign ties! Many people even though they are citizens of this country, still vote for their other country's leader. You can be both! You can be a           dual-citizen. Why can't you understand that?  

on May. 3 2011 at 2:57 pm
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

I do live in Glasgow, but I'm half english. And i know that im more fortunate than most but thrird world countries have the resources, some have very productiove mineral mines. They just need guidence to stop them coming to our country, Glasgow may be small, but we, like wveyone else need jobs and we can't get them

on May. 3 2011 at 1:48 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments
Let me put it this way: Iranian culture and American culture are not equal. If you are an American of Iranian descent (I'm sick of all this -American nonsense), and there are particular customs you want to celebrate, that's fine; just realize that it is within a context of American culture, where your sole indebtedness is to American culture, not any other foreign state. When there are "Mexican-Americans" in California, Arizona, Texas, who march for open borders and wave the Mexican flag, that is not the product of an integrated culture. That is a culture which is occupying a similar grounds but with bi-nationality and no commitment to the United States. When you become an American citizen, you pledge to break all foreign ties to foreign governments and lands.

on May. 3 2011 at 12:11 pm
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

Good Point, but do you know how many people in glasgw go after 1 job vacancy roughly , 27. Immigrints are stealing jobs from our own citizens. Not all of them , but some, they take advantage of the benfit system and sponge of it for the rest of their lives. We should focus more on saving our own coutnrys first. Do you not agree??

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on May. 2 2011 at 6:44 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Treefiddy and Hammi, read Diversity by Winniechirch. Then You will see the way I feel. 

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on May. 2 2011 at 5:27 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Well, I have to disagree with you about Europe. I have actually been to Europe. In Paris, where my aunt lives.. she lives in a neighborhood that is very culturally diverse. People are friends and they get along well and they are not segregated as you said. I must explain why I was rude to you. My family is bicultural and biracial. My mother is American and my father is Algerian. I, as an Algerian-American, am very proud of my culture. BOTH OF MY CULTURES!! So when you were saying, assimilate to me it was like saying as soon as you come to America, get rid of your culture and just become American. What is the American culture? The culture is made up of many different cultures. I have to disagree with you again. Perhaps it is perspective. I live in Boston, which is a very diverse city. People from all the world go my school. From Americans to English To Chinese to Arabs to..etc Many of my friends are from all the world. Give me a country and I could probably tell you a friend of mine that's from there. What do you mean by all cultures are not equal? All cultures are beautiful and wonderful. I believe that and so should you. 

on May. 2 2011 at 7:11 am
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

Im Brittish, and immagration has near about killed our country, Previous pms were fools to lets soo many immigrints in, And we're not self-segregated, sure in parts but doesn't every city, And it would help, in my opinion to stop letting immigrints in for a while while we try and sort out the mess already been made and then try and help the other countrys, it is not our responsiblity to help other countries when we are struggiling ourselves

 


on Apr. 30 2011 at 12:59 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments
It's quite literally the cult of multiculturalism.

on Apr. 30 2011 at 12:57 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments
Yes, we are a melting pot, not a salad bowl. We don't live in a multicultural society like the self-segregated countries of Europe where people of different cultures simply occupy the same space. People can have their own cultures in the context of American culture. The fact that they have left their old culture should be evidence that they are voting with their feet. The Prime Ministers of Great Britain, France and Germany have all publically announced that the attempts to create multicultural societies have failed because people are not assimilating. The genius behind the American experiment is assimilation, not multiculturalism. It's amazing how people like you take this magical word as gospel to assume anybody who claims that not all cultures are equal is a heretic.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Apr. 29 2011 at 4:50 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Drop ties to their former culture and assimilate into the American culture! Excuse me! America is a melting pot and our culture is made up of all kinds of different cultures, from China to the Caribbean. So saying get rid of your culture is like saying Get rid of America's culture, b!$&#

on Apr. 28 2011 at 3:36 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments

I have no problem with controled immigranted, so long as they pledge themselves to the United States and drop all ties to their former culture and assimilate into American culture.

Immigrants, like all people, should not have their actions subsidized by the state, especially under the guise of "investment". Have them improve their circumstances through their own skills and labors.

The free market offered the early immigrants of the 20th century a way for them to assimilate and be productive members of society who were able to better their circumstances. After generations, the European immigrants have assimilated and without the aid of government.

Government welfare encourages  immigrants to hold on to their old culture, retain their former language, and prevent the productive lifestyle they might hold if they did not get involved in our welfare trap.