The Existence of World Hunger | Teen Ink

The Existence of World Hunger

April 7, 2011
By Sportlover97 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
Sportlover97 BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"its a fine line between clever, and stupid" David St. Hubbins


According to the world hunger organization…approximately 1.2 billion people suffer from world hunger on a daily basis, while these innocent people suffer, others are throwing away their food. In the U.K 30-40% of food is never eaten, and in the U.S it’s an average of 40-50% of the food is never eaten. World hunger is a problem that needs to be taken seriously and dealt with as soon as possible.
World hunger is an issue that causes suffering to people throughout the world. For instance, “Over nine million people die worldwide each year because of hunger and malnutrition; 5 million are children.”(“Causes of Hunger are Related to Poverty”). Hunger also causes severe damage to people’s health, because without food we could severely damage our immune system. Going a few days without food will eventually lead to starvation or severe illness. Hunger is also affecting the future generations to come “Malnourished women are more likely to be sick, have smaller babies, and die earlier, resulting in high levels of infant mortality in areas where chronic hunger is a problem,” (“Hunger Facts”).
Not only does world hunger cause suffering and damage to people health, it also affects the worldwide economy. With the high rate of people suffering from world hunger, and all the deaths occurring, there are less and less people to work for big companies, factories, and worldwide organizations. According to World Vision (an organization fighting to make the world a better place for our future generations), “Hunger is cyclical. When parents are weakened by hunger, they cannot work, grow crops, or provide for their families.”(“Where and Why are People Hungry?”). World hunger also leads impoverished countries throughout the world into debt. Debt is a huge problem; countries are forced into borrowing money from organizations such as World Bank and ‘The International Monetary Fund’.
The solution to world hunger is easy and the payoff is huge. We can join to help fight world hunger. “The Hunger Project” is one of the many groups trying to help lessen hunger throughout the world. It is a global, non-profit, strategic organization that is committed to the end of world hunger. This organization works in 11 countries around the world. It tries to develop effective, bottom-up strategies to help end hunger and poverty. “Bread for the World” is yet again another one of the many organizations trying to those who suffer from hunger, it is a collective Christian voice trying to get big decision makers to help end world hunger at home and abroad. They write person letters, emails, and occasionally meet up with members of congress. Once a year they invite churches to take up a nationwide offering of letters to congress on the issues of hunger and poverty.
As you can see, for the sake of the people throughout the world this is why world hunger needs to be taken seriously and dealt with as soon as possible. People suffer so much from world hunger and the effects it has on worldwide economy, but there are many organizations trying to lessen world hunger that we could just as easily get involved with. Look at it this way… how would you feel if people you knew were suffering from hunger on a daily basis while you sit at home happily enjoying a meal with your family? Not many people get to do that… just think of your-self as lucky.