Illeagel Immigration | Teen Ink

Illeagel Immigration

By Felix-the-cat BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
Felix-the-cat BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado

Immigrants have been traveling to the United States since the country was discovered but now many citizens in the USA want to kick immigrants out of the country, and restrict their access to America. Majority of citizens in the USA is a descendent of an immigrant. Illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the United States. Illegal Immigrants do jobs in America Americans won’t do and they benefit the economy by paying taxes and working for very little money for large companies.
Immigrants do jobs Americans won’t do. They will also do the jobs for less pay but it’s still more money than they would get back in their home country. Illegal immigrants come to America for a chance to start a new life and be able to provide for their family. With more and more immigrants coming to America there’s some jobs with a large percentage of illegal immigrants as their employees, According to the director of research at the center for immigration studies Steven A. Camarota and the demographer at the Center for Immigration Studies Karen Jensenius, “there are 93 occupations in which 20 percent or more of workers are immigrants.” These high-immigrant occupations are primarily, but not exclusively, lower-wage jobs that require relatively little formal education.” (Jobs Americans Won’t Do? A Detailed Look at Immigrant Employment by Occupation p.1). Immigrants will do almost anything as a job so they can make money for their family and in some cases to send money back to their family back in Mexico. There also some jobs with majority of their employees being illegal immigrants,”75% of janitors are illegal immigrants, 71%of bellhops, porters, and concierges are illegal immigrants.” (Jobs Americans Won’t Do? A Detailed Look at Immigrant Employment by Occupation p.1). Illegal immigrants make very little money compared to an average American, “An average illegal immigrant earns $8,982 a year. An Average American male earns $32,000 a year average; an illegal immigrant family will earn $36400. The Average hourly wage for an illegal immigrant is $5.25. Minimum wage is $7.25 for Americans. (“Characteristics of the Illegal Alien Population p.1). Some immigrants have very long work hours, according to Luis Rivera, a student at centennial middle school his father “leaves his house at 7am and gets back home at 2am.”
Illegal immigrants help the economy by paying taxes and, and immigrants come to America to get opportunities and to help their families survive. The U.S. government received a lot of money from taxes that illegal immigrants pay; “from 1996 to 2003 immigrants paid $50 billion in taxes.” (At Tax Time, Illegal Immigrants Are Paying Too p.1). Also almost every large company including McDonalds and other fast food restaurant benefit greatly from the low wages they pay to the illegal immigrants, but they’re receiving more money at these low paying jobs compared to what they would earn in Mexico. Illegal immigrants benefit by coming to America simply because they get the opportunity of living a better life with more chances and in Mexico there isn’t any opportunities and theirs very few jobs that pay enough for someone to make a good living. In most cases the father of the family will go to America to send money back to their family in Mexico. “When Luis Rivera was 3 his father went to America to send money to his family In Mexico Luis didn’t see his father again until he was 5.”Luis and many other families survived because their fathers went to America.

Immigrants take jobs most Americans won’t take and they help the economy by paying their heavy taxes but majority of Americans want immigrants to be kicked out of the country, but more then half of immigrants don’t do anything that hurt Americans. Without immigrants the economy would drop even more and America would be in an even worse state then it already is.