Letter to the President

Hello, my name is Joshua. I would like to talk to you about the economic situation in America. The U.S. has not been developing its industrial growth. Rather, the U.S. industry has been declining. I think I know a couple of things that will help boost the economy. First of all, America needs to stop buying from countries like India and China, and start producing its own goods. The USA is already in major debt with china, and shouldn’t continue increasing the deficit. Second of all, countries that have significance in the American economy have been outsourcing jobs into countries like India, China, and Russia. They seem to think that it is better if they hire workers in other countries for much less money. They don’t understand that the economy is suffering because of people. They don’t care that they’re supplying other countries with good jobs, while the American people are left unemployed. Many countries in Europe have made limitations on outsourcing jobs. This is a smart thing to do, and I think America should do this to. That way, these companies will start hiring American workers again. Lastly, I think that the U.S. should spend less on useless military investments, and more on developing American industry, and working on the infrastructure of the country. The country’s infrastructure at its present state is ranked one of the lowest in the world. This is an extremely important task. Let America be the superpower it has always been.

custerrocks said...
I totally agree that the US should produce items in the US. But I totlly disagree on the part of "useless military investments". All of our investments for our military is for a purpose, to make our live free. We should create a stronger military no matter what because the US is spending so much in other countries that their militaries are getting stronger.

Treefiddy said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 2:54 am:
I suggest that you read "The Wealth of Nations", by Adam Smith. What you are suggesting is a one of the oldest economic theories called Merchantilism. In all cases, this theory has stunted economic growth in countless nations, as protectionist governments set up tarrifs and quotas to keep out competition. The result is that people have shortages, stunted economic growth, and less choice. This idea sounds nice, but it really is nothing more than a worn out slogan for politicans and unions to dema... (more »)

joecool101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm :

My dearest Trefiddy,

I respectfully disagree. If the US. puts more of its own jobs in the country for Americans, it's going to do much better