Electoral College vs. Popular Vote: An Ongoing Game | Teen Ink

Electoral College vs. Popular Vote: An Ongoing Game

By Hannah1014 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
Hannah1014 BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

“During six games of the 1996 World Series, the Atlanta Braves scored a total of 26 runs. The New York Yankees scored only 18 runs, but won the World Series anyway. Why? Because they won, four games and the Braves only won two. The Braves could argue that this outcome was not fair. But the rules say that the championship goes to the team that wins four games, not the team that scores the most runs,” (Schelesinger and Hewson). The United States runs it elections following these same principles. It might work in the baseball world, but not in elections. Even if a candidate earns so many popular votes, just like the Braves scored so many runs, the Electoral College representatives might not vote for that same candidate, and they might not win the election. The Electoral College is outdated and the intentions of the Founding Fathers do not apply anymore. To facilitate the fair election of the President and the Vice President the Federal Election Commission should eliminate the Electoral College and elect by popular vote.
The Electoral College has flaws but still functions properly. People might not know a solution to the problem. The Electoral College works. It continues to meet all expectation, and no one has a better idea (Wilson). No one can assure another solution would work more successfully than another one would. It might not make voting more equitable. Although a better, solution would be to use the Popular Vote. The intentions of the Founding Fathers became unnecessary because of the change in American society over time. The Electoral College’s involves electing presidents (Appleby, Brinkley, and McPherson).Majority rules in every other election. This theory should apply when electing the President and Vice President as well. The Popular Vote should make elections more equitable.
The Electoral Vote also gives more opportunity for competition. Candidates have to earn votes from the higher populated states with the most Electoral Votes, rather than the smaller populated states. In theory candidates only, need the Electoral Vote from the twelve most popular states to win the elections, excluding all less popular states (Baker and Raskin). The Popular Vote should ensure that all states should have equal representation (Kayden and Samples). People will vote as person, not as a person in a state. Their vote should weigh the same in Wyoming as it would weigh in Florida. The United States will vote more democratically, making votes equal and fair. The Popular Vote will make a significant change in elections.
Ultimately, the Electoral College continues to be inequitable. Citizens find the way the Electoral College runs unfair. Majority does not rule. Citizens do not vote for the President, they vote for state electors, who then vote for the President and Vice President. The votes are unequal and not everyone has the same incentive to vote (Baker and Raskin). In a democracy, majority should rule and votes should weigh equally. The elimination of the Electoral College should make the elections run more smoothly.
The Electoral College creates the “right” winner. They elect the candidate that qualifies the most, not the one that campaigns better. People should learn from their mistakes. This law was put in the Constitution because the Founding Fathers only wanted the “rich, land owning, white male” to vote. The Electoral College kept the “average” person out of the booths. The Electoral College would override any “wrong” decision. The Found Fathers were also afraid of “mob rule,” this system helped avoid mob rule as well. The Electoral College elects the person who will do their job correctly (Jost and Giroux). Americans should suffer if they make the wrong choice. They still would have made the choice. Keeping the average person out of the booths are unnecessary today. The popular vote should make the elections more democratically ran.

American citizens live in a democracy, all about equality. A person should receive equal representation when voting, in America we do not, it depends on the population of the state you live in. In the Electoral College, representation depends on the population as a state, so “states vote” not people (Baker and Raskin). Every vote should count as a person, and they all should match. Majority ruling and voting with the Popular Vote will make votes equitable.

In the past, people have come to America to receive rights, and treatment that is equal. Americans should have their thoughts heard. 65% of average Americans would prefer Popular Vote (Baker and Raskin). Majority should rule. States have passed the law, such as Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, Maryland, and Washington (Fadem et al.). This law has passed their full state government. If so many people prefer the popular vote and it has been through state governments, the Electoral College should not continue.

One other issue, in the 2000 George W. Bush and Al Gore election involves the recount issues in Florida. In the 2000 election Florida used the punch-out method from the hanging Chad as their election system (Jost and Giroux). Computers could only recognize the ballot if the Chad was completely punched through. Certain areas of Florida are highly populated with senior citizens. Many variables for not punching the entire section, such as sight, led to many recounts and issues. A solution would be to computerize all voting booths in America. We are becoming so technologically advanced, the Federal Elections Commission should create a secure monitored website, where citizens can vote online, and this should increase the voting percentile.

Ultimately, using the Popular Vote to elect the President and Vice President, and eliminating the Electoral College would be a positive change to the constitution. Votes will have equal weight and candidates will have less competition. The Electoral College’s intentions do not apply today. All votes should weigh equal amounts. The government should not run like a baseball game.