Development of Nuclear Weapons | Teen Ink

Development of Nuclear Weapons

By mkcc8 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
mkcc8 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

The advancement of nuclear weapons can protect one's country but can also harm many lives which is why I'm against it. Many countries are looking for a nuclear advancement to find ways to keep the energy supply needed to support power for their use. Unfortunately, nuclear energy can not just solely be used on the advancement in nuclear reactors(these make provide energy for a said nation which would last several years), but it can also be used in creating one of the scariest weapons that can wipe out an entire population. Nuclear arms can harm and take many lives all over the world. Its development is ongoing even though many lives are at stake.

Every country in the whole world wants more and more power in their hands. One way to obtain that power is by getting ahead with their studies in nuclear technology. Our world is greedy without a doubt. Every country tries to at least take the advantage just to be ahead. Different countries have their own nuclear weapons that other countries don't have. Treaties are kept by the United Nations in order to secure the safety of mankind. “The Treaty of the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons” made by the United Nations General Assembly, limits the enhancement of nuclear weapons that are being created within the said country that wishes to further their research. And another treaty said by Rose Gottemoeller, assistant secretary of state for arms control, verification and compliance, said it is time for the United States and Russia to ratify the pending New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), which was signed by President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in April. It would set the stage for further reductions in nuclear warheads by the two nations, which control more than 90% of the world nuclear weapons. The United Nations' concern is the safety of humankind from having a possible nuclear war if any country does not go by the rules. But there are still others who are secretly wanting to make these weapons just to have power.

Some people would think that we need something in order to protect our country from another one that would try and harm us. Nuclear weapons are supposed to prevent wars for several countries, but why is it that it is one of the reasons why we are getting into an argument with others? According to the article from the International Business Times the “US calls for concerted efforts to pressure North Korea in denuclearization. Noting the sinking of a South Korean warship in March and North Korea’s belligerent behavior, Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, said such actions creating instability are very dangerous.” Washington is worried by the threat of North Korea, whose economy has long relied on arms exports, selling nuclear weapon materials to other states. So many of our soldiers go off to war because of this. It is just a decision made by one country to avoid having a war. There are other options to avoid it. "North Korea’s pursuit of nuclear weapons will only lead to more isolation and less security for them," Obama adressed. "There is another path available to North Korea. If they choose to fulfill their international obligations and commitments to the international community, they will have the chance to offer their people lives of growing opportunity instead of crushing poverty."

Nuclear weapons are supposedly developed for defense purposes only. But for over several years that has passed since the “Cold War”, things have changed. Many wants to use them in vain and power. We have been fighting to prevent another world war from happening, but there are still others who are just greedy to take advantage of others. Many of our soldiers are dying everyday because of the war that is going on in the middle east and in other countries. What if a nuclear war surfaces just because of one particular country that just wants more power? What if everyone stopped arguing over such dangerous matters and just halted their research for mankind? No one has to risk their lives right? No soldier has to die for ones greed.