"we should be devoted to ending the death penalty, not ending more lives" | Teen Ink

"we should be devoted to ending the death penalty, not ending more lives"

February 26, 2011
By Harrisongs176 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Harrisongs176 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Envision a young man held captive with a knife against his throat. His arms and legs are fastened to a chair. A small piece of string lingers tightly against his fragile pale neck. Suddenly he knows its over and with a snap decision his life is ended, and everything was black. Now the man to blame for this treacherous murder is now on trial having to face either life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty. If we are to find him guilty of murder and give him the death penalty, would that not make us murderers ? Would justice be able to justify our actions? If we support the death penalty dose that make us partner in crime? There's a problem when our government is assigning a value on human life and weighing it against other options. The government tries to convey justice, But this is just a reflection of anarchy, rage, and hostility that has risen beneath this country. I believe that the death penalty is unethical because it goes against my morals, and the bill or rights, its more costly, and innocent people could be in the mix.

It is thought that giving someone death roe is defying the "cruel and unusual punishment clause" in the eight amendment.  We criticize and loOK down upon people, like Osama bin laden when he had brutally massacred people from his own country.  Meanwhile the United sates is also contributing to the same thing, but maybe not to that extent . It could be the electric chair, gas chamber, or even by lethal injection no matter how you do it, it is disturbing to know that our government is allowing this to happen. When did it become OK to say "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"? Running a government in this manor is not going to solve our problems. Having this mindset will just eventually lead to an infinite chain of violence and brutality. Is this really the message that the United states wants to send to our society? Seeking revenge on someone who has wronged you will just make any situation worse.

Giving the death penalty could possible be presenting the wrong message to the accused. By saying you murdered someone, so lets kill you, so that you know that killing is wrong. The government is just showing that what they did was right by killing them as a punishment. The message is unclear and for maybe this reason we are still struggling with these types of violence's.







Furthermore, the death penalty could also be giving them an easy way out. By ending there life they will no longer have to deal with the guilt and shame of there actions. These people would instead be forced to live in a confined and caged environment where they would be treated worse then animals. Is this not good enough? Why do we have to go as far as giving them death? Think about terrorist for example, the twin towers the Person who crashed the plane in return killed themselves so that they wouldn't have to deal with the aspect of life in prison. Its much easier to die then to have to deal with your life's actions in general.

So if you were part of a jury and had just convicted someone to death wouldn’t, "what if they are innocent" be lingering in the back of your mind? What happens if later down the road you find out they were innocent. There is no taking back what just happened they are dead and that is that. There is lots of evidence to support through DNA tests that innocent people where sentenced to death in the united states. So far 15 states have said that the death penalty was to much and have put an end to this injustice.

Believe it or not it has also been noted that costs for giving someone the death penalty is 2 to 3 times greater than giving them life in jail. This is so because to finalize someone having the death penalty you would have to go through rigorous court appearances. Each time you go to court you have to pay everyone like lawyers, judge, security, etc.. Its very costly to tax payer dollars. Sometimes the accused is on death roe for up to about 15 years or so. So why waste our money when rotting in jail is just as suffice.
Opinions may vary on this topic but while we argue whether its right or wrong people are still dying. The unjust ways in our court system is still happening and it needs a change in the right direction. Standing up for what you believe in may not be easy. JAY LENO, from the tonight's show said, "According to the L.A. Times, Attorney General John Ashcroft wants to take "a harder stance" on the death penalty. What's a harder stance on the death penalty? We're already killing the guy? How do you take a harder stance on the death penalty? What, are you going to tickle him first? Give him itching powder? Put a thumbtack on the electric chair?" It quotes like these that show how harsh our court systems really are. As a country and society how far are we really willing to take this. Who will stand up and say enough is enough ? So I leave you with this notion in hopes that it challenges you to stand up and make a move for the better of society.


The author's comments:
The death penalty is a topic that i am very passionate about. This paper was a persuasive assignment in my English class.