National Pride | Teen Ink

National Pride

February 16, 2011
By ConnorHudson49 BRONZE, Forest Park, Illinois
ConnorHudson49 BRONZE, Forest Park, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.


The distortion of truth is the underlying cause of conflict in today’s America. Nothing can be seen as more proof than the Park51 project to build an Islamic center near Ground Zero. Muslims have been dubbed in society as terrorists and members of a violent religion due to extreme radicals changing the peaceful religion to fit their political views. Just as Christians do not associate themselves with the KKK, the Islamic people do not enjoy the fact that the Taliban claim to be a part of the Muslim religion.
When the news first broke about the possibility of an Islamic community center being built near the site where the towers fell on 9/11, there was uproar. Pamela Geller, co-founder of Stop Islamization of America, dubbed the project “Ground Zero Mosque,” has been the most public to oppose building the Islamic center. Geller, who also claims that President Obama is Muslim and an illegitimate child of Malcolm X, has received national attention for her view on why the center should not be built in such close proximity to Ground Zero. She states “It would be a Victory Memorial to Islam.” Her misinformed view of the Islamic religion makes her a great poster child for racism and prejudice in America. Instead of understanding that this center is meant to be a bridge for all religions to better understand each other, she sees it as headquarters for the extremist groups who have hurt our nation so badly.
The controversy is rooted in national pride. The idea is that we shouldn’t allow Muslims to worship near the site where those who do not follow the true Islamic religion carried out an attack. Our country began because of the want for freedom. What our forefathers died for is freedom. We fail to honor the sacrifices they made when we suppress the rights of others given by our Constitution. Islam’s image has been decimated. What better way to create a better understanding for the American people than to show what true Islam is? To honor the freedom that our country is based on would be a real display of pride for our nation.