The Super Bowl Mess Up | Teen Ink

The Super Bowl Mess Up

February 14, 2011
By Anonymous

ARLINGTON, TEXAS- Prior to the anticipated Super Bowl, actress and singer Christina Aguilera sang the National Anthem. Despite experience at other sporting events, she forgot the well-known lyrics. The five-time Grammy-winner said she lost her place in the song. As many fans in the stands were surprised, Aguilera contained herself.

With an amazing voice, Aguilera has made a great career for herself. She has performed at many sporting events in the past, including game 7 of the NBA finals in 2010. While singing the National Anthem, Aguilera forgot a whole line. In the middle of the song, she proceeded to leave out the famous line, “O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming.” The famous singer then had to hold out one of the notes for a total of six seconds because there was too much of a gap in the song, due to the absence of the line.

Following the mishap in her performance, Miss Aguilera continued to hold her head high. Although she made an error that was blatantly noticeable, she did not let it get in the way of the rest of her performance. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog, Aguilera stated, “I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place.”

Additionally, she said, “I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through.”

The nation-wide known music executive, Simon Cowell, said, "But I always say this, this is what happens when you perform in front of an audience - even someone as experienced as Christina. You can get it wrong. That was bad.” In another interview with Extra TV, he mentions that he would not let her be a judge on his upcoming show, X Factor.