2011 State of the Union Summary | Teen Ink

2011 State of the Union Summary

By AddieG. GOLD, Chattanooga, Tennessee
AddieG. GOLD, Chattanooga, Tennessee

"What comes of this moment will be determined not by whether we can sit together tonight, but whether we can work together tomorrow," President Obama begins at the 2011 State of the Union Address after having noticed the Democrats and Republicans change their seating arrangements to show the parties can actually get along. No matter how they sat, party members were unable to be convinced that he was stating any controversial topics.

"We need to out innovate, out educate and out build the rest of the world," Obama says of the hopes he has for American progress. He emphasized the importance of 'winning the future', calling for more teacher and student education in math and science , bio-medical research and technological advances, fearing the Economical impact China and India can make in the near future. He pushed the idea of investing more in green technology. However, he also proposed a five year freeze in Congressional spending.

Obama reluctantly agreed to make a few small changes in his plan for health-care overhaul, which came as a slap in the face to Republican suggestions for flaws.

"The rules have changed," he says, and yes, they have. In reference to the repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell', he called for colleges to allow military recruiters on campus, simply stating that it is time to leave the past in the past. He also hopes to start bring troops in Afghanistan home in July.

Concerning immigration, he said that students in the country illegally should be allowed to stay. Their excellence is needed for the research he is interested in, saying that they could enrich the nation.

Overall, the President played his speech pretty safe. Dodging bullets like gay marriage and abortion, he stressed topics that are fairly popular across party lines, especially the importance of creating jobs. He found himself saying most of the things he said last year. He spent the majority of his speech flattering and swaying the members of Congress and talking about his goals instead of getting across his proposals. Obama also made the fatal error of calling our nation a democracy, which it is not.

Whether or not Obama lives up to his own standards is something the American public knows not.