Genocide in Darfur | Teen Ink

Genocide in Darfur

January 24, 2011
By Kortnei. BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Kortnei. BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dear President Barack Obama,

Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” If we stay silent about the genocide in Darfur, it will only get worse with time. We need to speak up and stop it!

The President of Sudan has already wiped out a large portion of Darfur; putting three million in camps, four million displaced, and two million killed. We need to end the genocide before it spreads and gets a whole lot worse, just like the Holocaust did. Hitler killed millions of Jewish; Mentally Handicapped, Gays, and more just because of the way they did not look or act a certain way, or believe what Hitler did. We as a nation cannot let this get that out of hand again.

This whole entire genocide is over oil. China wants the oil out of Darfur, and clearing the land is the only way to get it. What has this led to? This has led to mass starvation, harassment, bombing of hospitals, clinics, and schools. They used rape to torture and kill girls and women. They also used rape to impregnate girls and women to make lighter-skinned babies. What would you do if you lived in Darfur and your daughters and wife were raped? Would you flee to the U.S and get help to stop the genocide. Well, that s exactly what some Darfurians have already come here to do.

Some may argue that we cannot stop the genocide. They say that it is none of America’s business. Well, if we don’t do anything about it now, we might never be able to. I think that if we continue feeding and helping the Darfurians then we can join together and fight against the genocide. They need all the help he can get. We need to show them that we care!

Hate is powerful, but love can have a power all it’s own. We need to make peace happen in Darfur. We need can no longer sit around and wail. We need to stop this genocide before it gets worse and spreads all across the world. You and I alone are one person, but together we, can make a difference!


Sincerely a Concerned Citizen,


Kortnei