Money Spent in Political Media | Teen Ink

Money Spent in Political Media

January 19, 2011
By jordanneel BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
jordanneel BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You don't stop playing because you grow up, you grow up because you stop playing"


The time and money spent in political media is something most people don’t realize or don’t care about. They donate to their political party in hopes of it making a difference. People sit back and watch those aggressive political ads during a commercial break of SpongeBob Square Pants with their kids. They drive to work without seeing the schools, libraries, and parks closing all around them. People get so caught up in everyday life that they don’t even see the effects of things they helped start. In 2010 the money spent in political media was enough to rebuild every school in Colorado not once, but twice. The money people donate to political parties goes straight into the media to pay for reporters, interviews, ads, and even some photo shopped pictures, was that money spent wisely? Many would argue that the money was spent well, that it was spent for a good congress member or a good governor could be elected. Is that it though, a good congress member and a good governor? Why not build a great school or a great library with the same money?

Seven million dollars was spent to make a Connecticut congress women known, she lost the bid. Could that money have been spent to better Connecticut? Could the world be better off if there was a budget for political campaigns? Maybe even spending no money on the campaigns would be better. Government would never do that though, they are oblivious to the amount of time and money they are wasting. Money spent in politics could very easily feed over a thousand people for life, but instead where is that money going? It’s going toward ads that are filled with more computerized junk then anything. Those ads are being broadcasted all over for all to see.

“Michael Bennett’s votes are so bad he can’t defend them,” This is where the money is being spent. The ad was broadcasted on many stations during the 2010 elections. That was on the TV for kids to see and to hear. Hate is a learned emotion; could these hateful and aggressive ads be influencing the youth? “Ken Buck Extremely wrong for Colorado,” is what another commercial said. That commercial had only two short videos on Ken Buck. These video clips were cut off as soon as he said something “bad.” Maybe if the clip had kept going people would have heard why it is Ken Buck said something or is willing to do something, but no. Those types of commercials are designed to tear down a candidate’s opponent. Think about this, so much effort and funding was put into making that 33 second ad that has the same picture of Ken Buck, two short and quick videos, and flashy visual effects. What if that money was used to restock a library or something actually substantial?

So next time a political ad interrupts C.S.I. think about all that could have happened that did not because of that commercial. Think about all the lives that could have been saved with the money wasted on candidates losing their bids. Think about all the time and effort it took to build up a politician’s reputation and how that work could have been better used in something more productive. Could the next generation grow up to live in an honest society? A Chinese proverb states, “One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade.” This generation needs to be able to leave behind something great for the next generation, and that something great starts with fixing the political media.


The author's comments:
This assignment was assigned to my class,"Write about something that you feel strongly about"