Gay Marriage had a Good Day in Court | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage had a Good Day in Court

By Amy Retzlaff BRONZE, North Lake, Wisconsin
Amy Retzlaff BRONZE, North Lake, Wisconsin

“Gay Marriage Has a Good Day in Court.” This article is about gay marriage going to court and trying to fight Proposition 8. Proposition 8 is a referendum that was recently passed in the state of California. It repeals the law for same sex marriage. A lawyer named Charles Cooper was the one who took it to court and fought for Proposition 8. After Cooper was done fighting for Prop 8, Ted Olson fought for same-sex couples who brought this case to trial. Olson says that “he doesn’t like the terms ‘same-sex marriage’ or ‘gay marriage’ because the Supreme Court has never defined marriage as straight or opposite-sex.” The article also talks about procreating. As you know, gay couples cannot procreate. “Charles Cooper reminded the judges that if they strike down the law, they will be taking the definition of marriage away from the voters.” Then the article ends with this sentence, “For better or worse, Proposition 8 is before the court. It had a bad day there.”
This entire article irks me. I am a catholic. I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman; that is what the bible states. Marriage needs to be between a man and a woman so they can procreate. Two men or 2 women cannot procreate. As humans we were brought here to create more humans to keep Gods world going.
I am all for Proposition 8. I frown upon gay marriage. But, let me make this clear. I am not against gay people or civil unions. I just don’t want two people of the same sex to be together and have a ceremony for it and calling it a marriage. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition for marriage: “the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law.”
Proposition 8 needs to keep fighting in court. We need to make this planet how God wants it to be. One man and one woman marriages here to keep the human race going and not letting it stop. If we allow same-sex marriages there would be no reproducing and eventually the human race will end and the earth will be empty.

on Jan. 21 2011 at 10:40 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

This piece is a phony argument by somebody who does not support Proposition 8 and is creating a phony strawman argument to paint those with whom he disagrees in a negative light. Your last sentence is a clear indication that you are a plant and that you are lying.

I don't buy this for one second.