Stride to be Nuclear-Free | Teen Ink

Stride to be Nuclear-Free

By Get-Snooled BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Get-Snooled BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Countries around the world have the ability to hold another country at their knees with a press of a button. North Korea, of all countries, is steadily gaining the ability to launch nuclear missiles. The article “Obama Dreams of a Nuclear-Free World,” written by Daniel Politti, states that North Korea is a threat to the United States and the rest of the world, and that the first step to finding peace is to stop the nuclear weapons race. Obama wanted to take action into resolving any future nuclear situations worldwide. For the countries of the world to halt stocking nuclear arms and lay to rest all current nuclear weapons, one country much accept the role to start, hoping all others will follow.

There is just one huge problem; if the United States decides to rid of nuclear weapons, it would be considered vulnerable, and become less of a threat to enemy countries. Reason for stockpiling nuclear weapons is an act of defense. The United States is unlikely to be attacked because other countries are intimidated by the nuclear power it possesses. The United States fears to disarm itself of nuclear weapons because of the risk of opposing countries taking advantage of the opportunity. The world as a whole must come together and unanimously vote to step towards a nuclear free world. The odds of all the nuclear powers of the world agreeing to stop the nuclear weapons race is slim to none, especially when North Korea secludes itself and its military abilities from the rest of the world. As quoted from the article: “the LAT says that even if the launch didn’t meet North Koreas objectives, it still showed `disturbing progress in that country’s pursuit of the ability to deliver a nuclear warhead. `” The nuclear arms race needs to stop, but not at the expense of an enemy country taking control of another. The world must agree to throw in their “WMD’s” together in order to create a more peaceful world without fear.

No country should have the power to destroy massive portions of the world with the press of a button. There is no such thing as a fair fight, but there isn’t a fight if the opposing country doesn’t have a chance. Then it becomes a massacre. If countries disagree, then they have the option to wage war, but war is a conflict of weapons and physical force between two sides, not the complete annihilation of thousands of lives with a single press of a button. Together the world can be nuclear free, if only the world would take the chance to do something great, not at any individual country’s expense, but at the worlds gain.

My opinion of the Global Crisis of Nuclear Weapons.