Minimum Wage | Teen Ink

Minimum Wage

By emilyy99 BRONZE, Brewerton, New York
emilyy99 BRONZE, Brewerton, New York

Many people today in society seem to think that it would be a good idea to raise the minimum wage. I however have my own point of view on this topic. I think that the minimum wage is fine where it is at, and doesn't need to be changed. If the minimum wage is raised then manufacturers and retailers would have to change the prices on their goods and services they provide to offset the higher costs in labor. Another thing about raising the minimum wage is that employees that already make more then minimum wage would not get a salary increase so they would be able to purchase less. People must understand that in nature, not everyone is going to have the opportunities that others do. No matter what they do about the minimum wage debate, in a nation you will always have the lower, middle, and higher classes in the society.

I was inspired by this topic to write about because I have been hearing about this problem going on throughout the nation and i really felt it was necessary to write an article about my own personal opinions.

on Dec. 9 2010 at 2:36 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

There shouldn't even be a minimum wage law. In regards to the minimum wage, people should be asking if it is bettering the circumstances of impoverished people, to give them a benefit to raising themselves out of poverty, as they are the ones generally who the minimum wage applies to. According to the evidence, the minimum wage law does not only not improve the economic circumstances of the poor and the unskilled, it worsens it.

If an employer is hiring people for a job which requires very general and basic skills, the people who would be hired for those jobs would normally not be able to command a very high wage for their labor. If a minimum wage law demands that an employer disregard economic laws of supply and demand, that employer must decide whether that labor is worth the minimum wage or not. If it is not, that person simply will not be hired. If that person is not hired, they cannot gain the work experience necessary to learn a trade, better their skills, thus being able to command a higher wage for their labor. The truth is that the real minimum wage is not $8.75 or whatever it may be, the real minimum wage is 0.