Choices of Love or Hate | Teen Ink

Choices of Love or Hate

November 4, 2010
By england_love77 PLATINUM, Penryn, California
england_love77 PLATINUM, Penryn, California
24 articles 31 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.”


Stop. Look at me. Straight in the eyes. Don’t be afraid; I won’t hurt you.
Listen. To my story.
I’m different than you and always have been, ever since I was learning to crawl, learning to talk. Something just felt different and I felt victimized for all of my life. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. Hell, to this day I still don’t know why this happened to me. But I’ve accepted it and moved on.
You should too.
Just because I’m not the way you are doesn’t mean I’m a tragedy or a monster. Open your eyes and see that this world is filled with variance; differences among humans, countries, animals, nature. Realize that the more you’re ignorant, the more pain you cause. And if you cause pain, then society suffers. If society suffers, the world falls apart.
But I’m actually not that different after all. I may listen to the same music as you or read the same books. I gaze at the same stars as you in the late of night and wish the same wish. I may have the same beliefs as you and pray the same prayers.
I have one difference; so be it. This difference doesn’t define me; it’s just one branch of the tree of my soul. Just like your differences don’t define you.
What defines you are your choices.
If you choose to be ignorant, then all you breathe is hatred. If you choose to be tolerant, all you see is love. If you choose to listen, then you will understand that no one chooses the life they’re given; they simply choose to accept it and make the best of it.
Look around now. Don’t judge a person when you don’t know their thoughts, their past, their mistakes, their accomplishments. Someone’s soul is never to be judged by a mere onlooker. What’s that going to accomplish? Does it make you feel good to diminish someone? In the end, you only diminish yourself.
Just because I have one difference from you doesn’t mean you should try to fix me. There’s nothing to fix. So stop wasting your time. Don’t try to alter my life when nothing needs to be altered. Just let me be happy. I cannot comprehend why people try to prevent happiness among others. The world is far from a happy place, so why try to make it even more unhappy?
Look away from me and onto the world. We’re here to help each other. Out there, it’s best to choose a smile of love and not a frown of hatred.