Do We Always Look On The Bad Things?

Human nature. Blessing and curse. See, here's one of the issues that bugs me the most. Many times, unconsciously or knowingly we only look at the bad or negative things. Don't believe me?

Try to remember anything good or positive about Iran.
It might be difficult or almost impossible, because we only remember them as a nation that seems to be wanting enriched uranium for malignant purposes.

Another example, more close to my heart. What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think Colombia? Drugs and cocaine, I'm guessing. You don't know of our Nobel Prize Winning author, our coffee, our musicians, athletes, scientists. You don't know of our biodiversity. No, only the negative things.

Or go to a Central American country and ask about the US. They'll probably say "an empire that topples governments". While the US has amazing things, this is all they know. Democrats thing of all the bad things on Bush, Republicans on Obama. Many times you are not always praised for accomplishments, but many times humiliated or scolded for mistakes or errors.

Is this part of our human nature? That Mexico brings illegal immigration, that Islam brings up Al Qaeda, that Germany brings up the Holocaust?

I'm not denying that everything has it's good and bad, it's Yin and Yang. However, we could more often try to focs on some of the positive stuff, because it is out there, waiting to be mentioned.

Alice28 said...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 12:12 am
Well put. See there are so many peoms out there about the bad things in our country and so very little about the good things. Notice that no one ever questions the bad things. Though when good things happen everyone is all over it. This is a great poem. Keep writting!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well said! Indeed, it would not hurt us to recognize the good in things. I love the yin and yang theory. Ah, I must recommend The Sad Truth about Life by Amehndi. Thanks for writing this true piece.