The Q'uran Burning and the Consequences

9/11/2001. A day that will live in infamy. I was only a child, living in Venezuela. I remember finishing my school day normally and going home. My mom says I cried as I saw the replay.

Fastforward nine years. There has been debate on a recent topic. A church in Florida has decided to burn Q'urans in protest of 9/11.

Wanna make a few things clear: I am not from the US, and I am very liberal in my views. With that out of the way, here's what I think.

What the hell? Really? Burning the Q'uran is a good memorial? First of all, all this'll do is burn the flame of anger in the hearts of Islamic extremists more. Not just that, but this basically insults ALL Islamic people, not just the extremists. I get it, there's some Islamophobia present today. But has it reached a level where Iran, the Vatican, the White House, troops in Afghanistan and Glenn Beck have reached the same conclusion? Pretty crazy.

As a non-American, I grew up listening to the stereptype that Americans are people who know nothing of other cultures worldwide. As I grew up, I learned to value the American people for who they were, and I happily live among them now. But by doing this, people who exaggerate will say this is what ALL Americans believe. Trust me, I've seen people react like this.

But even worse, this is being done by a Catholic church! What happened to Jesus' teachings of loving everyone? Are we not just going to burn innocent people, but now burn other holy books? Sure, this only represents the views of those who want to take part in this act, but is it necessary to throw this stain under the not-so-great reputation of Catholicism? No.

I understand there are people who won't change their minds about this issue. They still believe the Islamists are crazy extremists willing to destroy the US.

I say to you, think of what you are doing. I'm not American, so I can't say I was directly affected by 9/11. But I do know too many of us, HUMANS, will be affected by this foolish, disastrous, Islamophobic and racist act you are about to commit.

Threefiddy said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 3:32 am
Btw, an Islamist is somebody who is crazy and is willing to destroy the US. There is a difference between Islam and Islamism. You need to be careful between the two, because Islamism is the fundamental idealogy.

C.D.Vitta replied...
Oh, well thanks for that. I actually never knew that, and I'll be sure to remember that fact.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
amazing, thank you for posting this im on the same page on this "stuff" as you, much love from eugene oregon

Threefiddy replied...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 3:29 am
The media should never have given this nut the attention.

nanyehi replied...
Yep, maybe the media shouldn't have, but the media always does and always will. Part of the downfall of this era of the  media is that it is an instrument for inciting the public. Some of the stirring of the pot is bad, some is good. But it does always result in discussion, which in the long run is good.