The NY Mosque: A symbol of Hope?

We all know the story of 9/11.
We know people died because of those selfish and ignorant enough to take lives.
And we have mourned.

Now, in the place where so many memories lay, comes a new beginning.
We have held a grudge against the Middle Easterns because of 9/11, and no one can blame those who do. But that doesn't mean its right. The Middle Easterns who have caused the damage are dead. It's time to let go, and start with open minds.

The mosque that's supposed to be built in the place of the twin towers has raised a lot of questions, and debates. Should it really be placed there?

I think yes. A mosque is a holy place where people can pray, and reach God (Allah). It's not a place of destruction. I think it means a new beginning, where wounds can finally heal. It's ironic, yes, but it's not bad.
Some might say its a horrible idea, why should we put THEIR building in this sacred place, when THEY attacked us?
But they didn't attack us. It was terrorists that attacked us, but that doesn't mean all Middle Easterns are terrorists. We need to learn to stop discriminating just because one person from a race/ethnicity did something. We can't blame the entire race for one person's decision.

So yes, the mosque should be placed there. It's time we start growing, and be less close minded. It only hurts us to be cruel and discriminating. We can learn a lot and understand more, if we could just open our minds more.

Placing the mosque where the twin towers used to be doesn't mean it's replacing our memories. It won't.
We will never forget what happened on 9/11. But it's also time to move on.

Threefiddy said...

Get this right in your head first: This is not about silencing Muslims or keeping them from practicing their religion. This is about keeping a Mosque off of holy land. Holy land where over 3,000 people were murdered in the name of a particular religion.

I have absolutely no idea what your point was that "Churches aren't evil, and and mosques aren't either". The ones who hijacked the airplanes and killed all of those people weren't C.hristian. If it were commited in the name of C... (more »)

Tara M. replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:00 am
that may be so, but putting it there is not pure evil, thats ridiculous. Are u condemning all the muslims because the people who cruelly killed thousands in 9/11 were muslims? thats not right. fine, you have ur own opinion that the mosque shouldn't be planted on "holy" ground, but that doesn't give you the right calling it evil. and yes, I do recall watching the horrible news when that all happened, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be so close-minded, and call it evil to put the mosque in plac... (more »)

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i would like to point out that the fact that Iman is affiliated with HAMAS and supports the establishment of Shiri law. but i sense (yes sense) that anger has blinded you... young padawan. 

lol, imeant shariah law

Threefiddy said...

This building of this Mosque is such an ugly and detestable act of conquest and provocation. I wish I could spit in the face of this Imam for what he is trying to do.

There is absolutely no honor and sympathy among those who wish for this Mosque to be built. It is a moral evil to build a Mosque on this holy ground- and yes, it is holy ground.

classicStara replied...
thats a pretty harsh thing to say. Mosques are holy places to worship God, just like churches. Churches aren't evil, and mosques aren't either. I'm sorry if you've had a personal experience that has hurt you, but saying such extreme comments are ignorant.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with you completely. There is not much more than I can say, besides a hearty nod of my head and a genuine 'thank you for writing this.'

Tara M. said...
thanks for your comments! I know that we might have our differences but I don't think they are putting the mosque in place of the twin towers just by coincidence. I think its also because its a symbol of putting the past aside. I mean, if they were just putting it for the heck of yet, yeah, I  would totally agree with you guys. But in some points of views, I do agree with you amybug and saimne, especially since there are a lot of people still hurting. 

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree with amybug, if they want the mosque so bad, they should b happy with it regardless of the location. to ask for a mosque is already controversial in NY in general, but to put in that particular area? really?

amybug said...
I think this is really well written and gives people a different a perspective. However, I disagree with your staments. I believe that it is wrong to be discrimitary, but I think it would cause more pain than imaginable to put a mosque where people died becuase of people who pray there. I think that they have every right to place it down the street! But to put it on the site! Thats just disrepctful. I think its wrong to even suggest such a thing. Whats so hard about building it down the street?