The NY Mosque: A symbol of Hope? | Teen Ink

The NY Mosque: A symbol of Hope?

August 20, 2010
By classicStara PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland
classicStara PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland
26 articles 0 photos 28 comments

We all know the story of 9/11.
We know people died because of those selfish and ignorant enough to take lives.
And we have mourned.

Now, in the place where so many memories lay, comes a new beginning.
We have held a grudge against the Middle Easterns because of 9/11, and no one can blame those who do. But that doesn't mean its right. The Middle Easterns who have caused the damage are dead. It's time to let go, and start with open minds.

The mosque that's supposed to be built in the place of the twin towers has raised a lot of questions, and debates. Should it really be placed there?

I think yes. A mosque is a holy place where people can pray, and reach God (Allah). It's not a place of destruction. I think it means a new beginning, where wounds can finally heal. It's ironic, yes, but it's not bad.
Some might say its a horrible idea, why should we put THEIR building in this sacred place, when THEY attacked us?
But they didn't attack us. It was terrorists that attacked us, but that doesn't mean all Middle Easterns are terrorists. We need to learn to stop discriminating just because one person from a race/ethnicity did something. We can't blame the entire race for one person's decision.

So yes, the mosque should be placed there. It's time we start growing, and be less close minded. It only hurts us to be cruel and discriminating. We can learn a lot and understand more, if we could just open our minds more.

Placing the mosque where the twin towers used to be doesn't mean it's replacing our memories. It won't.
We will never forget what happened on 9/11. But it's also time to move on.

The author's comments:
I know there are some strong opinions on the mosque being placed where the twin towers were. I personally think its a symbol of hope and new relations. But let me know what you think about it.