The War in Afghanistan

This is not World War three people, this is just dumb. Then again all wars are dumb. Why are we fighting in Afghanistan? I don't think half the people in the United States even know why. And I'm one of that half. But from what I've heard, we're just making fools of ourselves.

If I'm correct, we are trying to help THEM out, and they're refusing, right? Well if they don't want help from a successful nation that’s their fault. Let’s pull out and when their country starts to fall apart and they come crawling back begging for help, which is when we help them. Right now all we're proving is that we are stubborn and don't know how to stay out of other peoples business. And hey, if they don't come back to us for help, or they're nation doesn't fall apart, what have we got to lose by pulling out? Nothing, all war does is complicate things and hurt, even kill, innocent people.

So yes, you can say I hate the war, because I do. How can people even like this war? What has it done for us? It’s made our economy worse, and I don't count that as a good thing, plus its killing people who are fighting for our lives. They're even fighting for those people who don't have a job and collect unemployment. We have this life because of our troops. And for that I thank them.

Many Americans are appalled at the bombings that soldiers in Afghanistan are doing. Tell me, exactly why are they amazed at that? They're doing exactly what we're doing, fighting for their country. And if their way of doing that is blowing up things well that’s their problem. We just went in there and basically said "We are going to help you, and you are going to like it." Well they don't like that, and neither would we. What if Britain tried to do that to us? Would we just let that happen without fighting back, no, I don't think so, because we are a free country.

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Threefiddy said that "they killed 3000 people on 9/11." With all respect to those who died on 9/11 because those who died were all INNOCENT Americans...who exactly are 'they?' The Afghan people? The terrorists? It seems like people don't really know who 'they' would be...When we hear about soldiers and civilians who died, it always feels terrible...but it's war. How else are we supposed to feel? War is an economic blackhole, a big bruise in your tummy, the constant fretting, death, etc...it's war.

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

We are fighting this war because there can only be one victor, and it is us or them.

We are fighting this war because the terrorists do not represent the people, and all people deserve to be free of oppression.

We are fighting this war because in the Middle East, normal citizens like you or I are MURDERED regularly by terrorists.

We are fighting this war in defense of humanity as a whole.

We are fighting this war because NEGOTIATIONS have FAILED.

We are figh... (more »)

DifferentTeen replied...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

I can tell you feel very strongly about this, great job at backing yourself up by the way! I love a good debate!:)

But I have to fight back, I'm sorry. Its not like I'm dfending Terrorists but I'm defending all of the people who aren't and are living in Afganistan.. If that makes any sense. Let me explain. Not everyone living in Afganistan are Extremists, yet we are attacking them as a whole. I do think we should handle the Terrorists problem, but do we really have to follow throu... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree completely. Thanks for writing this very true article.

DifferentTeen replied...
Thank you (:

Threefiddy said...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:28 am

Because they killed 3000 Americans on 9/11? Was Pearl Harbor not a precedent for entering WWII?

Where is the logic? Either you kill the people who or out to kill you, or you wait until there is another attack. It's fairly simple. Nobody likes war, but sometimes it is neccessary when there is a hostile force which wants to kill you.

Tell me, what is the alternative to killing these b.astards?

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Forgive me, my friend, but your logic is morally twisted. Our response to Pearl Harbor was terrible; they killed about 2,500 (the large majority were soldiers) and we killed more than 120,000 (mostly civilians). This was a great injustice.

Your hostility toward foreigners does not help the situation. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Conquer your enemy with love."