The War in Afghanistan | Teen Ink

The War in Afghanistan

By DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

This is not World War three people, this is just dumb. Then again all wars are dumb. Why are we fighting in Afghanistan? I don't think half the people in the United States even know why. And I'm one of that half. But from what I've heard, we're just making fools of ourselves.

If I'm correct, we are trying to help THEM out, and they're refusing, right? Well if they don't want help from a successful nation that’s their fault. Let’s pull out and when their country starts to fall apart and they come crawling back begging for help, which is when we help them. Right now all we're proving is that we are stubborn and don't know how to stay out of other peoples business. And hey, if they don't come back to us for help, or they're nation doesn't fall apart, what have we got to lose by pulling out? Nothing, all war does is complicate things and hurt, even kill, innocent people.

So yes, you can say I hate the war, because I do. How can people even like this war? What has it done for us? It’s made our economy worse, and I don't count that as a good thing, plus its killing people who are fighting for our lives. They're even fighting for those people who don't have a job and collect unemployment. We have this life because of our troops. And for that I thank them.

Many Americans are appalled at the bombings that soldiers in Afghanistan are doing. Tell me, exactly why are they amazed at that? They're doing exactly what we're doing, fighting for their country. And if their way of doing that is blowing up things well that’s their problem. We just went in there and basically said "We are going to help you, and you are going to like it." Well they don't like that, and neither would we. What if Britain tried to do that to us? Would we just let that happen without fighting back, no, I don't think so, because we are a free country.

This is just me voicing my opinion. I hope people can agree with me.

on Feb. 8 2012 at 6:21 pm
NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

Threefiddy said that "they killed 3000 people on 9/11." With all respect to those who died on 9/11 because those who died were all INNOCENT Americans...who exactly are 'they?' The Afghan people? The terrorists? It seems like people don't really know who 'they' would be...When we hear about soldiers and civilians who died, it always feels terrible...but it's war. How else are we supposed to feel? War is an economic blackhole, a big bruise in your tummy, the constant fretting, death, etc...it's war.

on Oct. 2 2010 at 9:32 am

I can tell you feel very strongly about this, great job at backing yourself up by the way! I love a good debate!:)

But I have to fight back, I'm sorry. Its not like I'm dfending Terrorists but I'm defending all of the people who aren't and are living in Afganistan.. If that makes any sense. Let me explain. Not everyone living in Afganistan are Extremists, yet we are attacking them as a whole. I do think we should handle the Terrorists problem, but do we really have to follow through with that by killing people who don't actually hate us?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 30 2010 at 9:46 pm
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

We are fighting this war because there can only be one victor, and it is us or them.

We are fighting this war because the terrorists do not represent the people, and all people deserve to be free of oppression.

We are fighting this war because in the Middle East, normal citizens like you or I are MURDERED regularly by terrorists.

We are fighting this war in defense of humanity as a whole.

We are fighting this war because NEGOTIATIONS have FAILED.

We are fighting this war because justice is WORTH fighting for.

I don't know about you, but I know that the soldiers fighting with us know their DUTY, and are happy to do it.  They know the risks, and they know the sacrifices.  And they WANT to help the people of Afghanistan recover from this modern-day reign of terror.  I know this first hand, for a fact.  As for conquering our enemy with love, the terrorist extremists consider it their moral and religious OBLIGATION to kill us.  The only way to conquer them with love is to love the people they oppress.

And finally, in response to the Pearl Harbor comment, do you honestly think the Japanese would have stopped at those 2,500 soldiers?  Do you expect the terrorists to stop at 9/11?  They will not stop.  They will target us until they themselves are destroyed.  Remember that.

on Aug. 13 2010 at 5:05 pm

Thank you (:

on Aug. 9 2010 at 1:04 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Forgive me, my friend, but your logic is morally twisted. Our response to Pearl Harbor was terrible; they killed about 2,500 (the large majority were soldiers) and we killed more than 120,000 (mostly civilians). This was a great injustice.

Your hostility toward foreigners does not help the situation. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Conquer your enemy with love."

on Aug. 9 2010 at 12:51 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

I agree completely. Thanks for writing this very true article.

on Aug. 5 2010 at 12:28 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

Because they killed 3000 Americans on 9/11? Was Pearl Harbor not a precedent for entering WWII?

Where is the logic? Either you kill the people who or out to kill you, or you wait until there is another attack. It's fairly simple. Nobody likes war, but sometimes it is neccessary when there is a hostile force which wants to kill you.

Tell me, what is the alternative to killing these b.astards?