I Love Oil | Teen Ink

I Love Oil

By JesseSayPeace BRONZE, Lafayette, Louisiana
JesseSayPeace BRONZE, Lafayette, Louisiana

"I am Joe's Smirking Revenge."

Do you like oil? I love oil.

I love everything about the sticky, foul smelling stuff that has the Gulf Coast up in arms. I love it's cheap energy source, it's quick turn around, and the fact that it supports every person who works in South Louisiana, parts of Texas, Mississippi, and Alabama; I love that oil is the reason I am here. I love oil.

But a lot of people don't knowingly love oil; they love the idea of a perfect world where oil spills don't occur and brain-dead CEOs don't ask for their "life back." Of course, the fact is, if you're even reading this, you love oil almost as much as I do.

Touch anything, whether it's your arm or your keyboard, and chances are that it's been affected by an oil product. Many soaps on the commerical market have a type of petroleum product as an ingredient, and the plastics in your keyboard were made with petroleum. I'm sure you've seen the commericals for Dawn dishwashing soap, claiming things like "Buy this certain Dawn that cost more than normal Dawn and we'll give a dollar to help animals affected by oil disasters," but did you realize that Dawn is made with the same stuff that is killing the animals they are "trying to save"? Oh, and by the way, all of those things got to you via petroleum products, A.K.A. gasoline. See, I told you that you had a love affair with oil.

I understand why those of us who aren't from the Gulf Coast can say "Offshore drilling is not good for our enviroment so we must stop it for an amount of time." But stopping the oil drilling and harvesting process isn't going to fix the oil spill we already have, but it will completely distroy an economy built around oil workers and their families. For example, my father is a garbage man while my mother owns a small business, and though while neither are tied directly to the oil industry, my mother would have no business without the oil money and my father would be out of a job if these oil workers didn't pay their taxes. Now you can better see why I love oil.

Down in South Louisiana, we don't mess around about a couple of things: our God, our families, our gumbo, our Saints, and our jobs. Imagine you're an oil worker and you work at a company called Oil Tools & Wireline. You wake up on Sunday and, with the gas in your car, drive to Church to hear the sermon and put five or ten dollars, money from your last check, into the collection plate, and you are acutely aware that oil money fuels the Church you're sitting in. From Church you drive on down to your local diner for breakfast or supper (lunch is the meal a South Louisiana native knows as supper) and pay for your bill and the tip with, you guessed it, the money from your last paycheck. After eating a meal that makes you feel the size of a house, you drive on back home to get ready for Sunday Night Football because the Saints are playing the Vikings tonight and mi cher, you just cannot miss this one! Your wife or girlfriend is making some gumbo and man is it smelling good! And yes, it's all paid for by your paycheck, as a, you guessed it, oil field worker.

You see, you really do love oil after all.

on Aug. 10 2010 at 10:30 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

okay, but what are we going to do when it does become scarce? i can see i was unclear about it but I think that there is a need to develop other sources of energy in all parts of the world so that there is no crises when oil does start to run out.

on Aug. 9 2010 at 5:42 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
There is such a vast amount of oil- it isn't going anywhere. We have a good few hundred years more of oil until it becomes scarce. They've been saying we were going to run out since the late 19th century.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

yes but in my understanding car batteries can be rechargable, whereas oil is used and gone. i can see, though, that nothing will change in a day and I'm not against oil, I'm against the fact that oil will run out sooner or later. I can also see the point of working towards more efficient use of oil, though. 

Kellz22 said...

Jess, this is really well done. You are going to be awesome jouralist( don't know if i spelt it right, but you know what i mean) one day. I totally and whole heartly agree with you and say.. that me and you will  RULE THE WORLD ONE DAY!! =]

I love you!

ruski said...
I believe you are so right and besides all that oil is natural .  It too is produced by mother earth.  Just like a "flower"  can be a weed when it is in the wrong place-- oil is great when we are able to keep it in the right place.  This spill too shall be overcome and the jobs should remain.

Aunt Cheri said...

Jess!  What a GREAT article!!! Are you going to do any type of journalism?  You've got a gift!!! I have absolutely nothing but praise for this article! (That and the humble opinion that I agree with you!)

I am very impressed...

By the way.....THAT'S MY NIECE!!!

"I am Joe's Smirking Revenge."

I am a fairly eco-friendly person (President of my school's enviromental club) but I'm also very realistic about our energy. Unfortunately, wind power and electricity (the process of making electic bateries for cars do just as much harm as a gasoline does to the enviroment)

I feel like we need to improve on oil as well as enviromentally friendly and sound types of energy.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

I really enjoyed reading this and you make a lot of good points. it's fluent, has good vocab, and I think people will agree that you know what's going on. I just disagree in the way that I think that we need to start moving away from oil on to cleaner technology. It can still be used as a material for plastics, alcohol, soap, shampoo and everything else but we should replace it with electricity as a fuel for cars and machinery. Electricity in turn can be made using watermills, windmills, solar panels, biogas, and geothermal energy.