Where is the Change We Seek? | Teen Ink

Where is the Change We Seek?

July 21, 2010
By AshLynn BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado
AshLynn BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado
4 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
you must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.


“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek.” (President Obama).

When I first heard our now current president declare this, proud, and honest quote, I knew he was the person that I was going to vote for. I felt that deep down, this was the man we needed in our current war mongering white house. The change that we were seeking was being promised by a man of color, a man who I believed was going to change history, a man that despite what he does did change history.

That was in 2009. All of the hype is worn off, and I’m still waiting for the changes. We are still at war, and our economy and health care is still in crisis. The only change that I’ve witnessed since Obama came into office is the now persistent furlough days that were being forced on my father for being a state employee. We are not hurting for money we are a well sitting middle class family. But while this is true, we are still living pay check to pay check. The war on the middle class continues.

As much as I love having our democracy, and with as much love for our country that I have, it doesn’t seem to matter how much faith you can put into someone you believe in. No matter how good of a person you are, once you are put into power, how you feel, or what you want to do gets put on the side burner for other, more powerful people. I’m still ready for the change. But as the four years go on, Obama is no longer going to deliver any change for our country. He changes his suits, and since he never told us what he was going to change or how he was going to do it, those suits he changes, might be all that’s going to change with him in office.