Where is the Change We Seek? | Teen Ink

Where is the Change We Seek?

By AshLynn BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado
AshLynn BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado

you must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek.” (President Obama).

When I first heard our now current president declare this, proud, and honest quote, I knew he was the person that I was going to vote for. I felt that deep down, this was the man we needed in our current war mongering white house. The change that we were seeking was being promised by a man of color, a man who I believed was going to change history, a man that despite what he does did change history.

That was in 2009. All of the hype is worn off, and I’m still waiting for the changes. We are still at war, and our economy and health care is still in crisis. The only change that I’ve witnessed since Obama came into office is the now persistent furlough days that were being forced on my father for being a state employee. We are not hurting for money we are a well sitting middle class family. But while this is true, we are still living pay check to pay check. The war on the middle class continues.

As much as I love having our democracy, and with as much love for our country that I have, it doesn’t seem to matter how much faith you can put into someone you believe in. No matter how good of a person you are, once you are put into power, how you feel, or what you want to do gets put on the side burner for other, more powerful people. I’m still ready for the change. But as the four years go on, Obama is no longer going to deliver any change for our country. He changes his suits, and since he never told us what he was going to change or how he was going to do it, those suits he changes, might be all that’s going to change with him in office.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 1:38 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

Another note: what do you mean "The war on the middle class continues?"

I say it's true. He's driving up our taxes and the price of our food and energy with this cap and trade nonsense, but I'm assuming you meant something else.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 1:36 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

If you listened to the substance of words, rather than the mantra of "hope" and "change", then you would have know that he is doing everythinghe said he was going to do. He told us he was going to spend a lot of money on trying to repair the economy, he told us that he was going to nationalize health care, he told us that he was going to redistribute wealth, he told us he was going to pass cap and trade legislation.

I don't know what you're surprised about. Of course the economy isn't going to recover under such a president. Government does not create jobs, it does not create wealth! Obama was honest, but if you listened to the substance of his words, you would have known what a radical he was.

This is the change he promised!

on Jul. 25 2010 at 12:00 am
darkangel09 GOLD, South Huntington, New York

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."-Voltaire

i agree with you i had hope but now i realize it was miss guided. he is changing things but its not the way every body expected and some wont see it till his four years are. yea he's changed his suit and this country...for the worse...

blah3 said...
on Jul. 23 2010 at 9:53 am
very well written and completely true!