Patience is the Most Moral Virtue | Teen Ink

Patience is the Most Moral Virtue

July 11, 2010
By theinquisitivedonkey SILVER, Cohasset, Massachusetts
theinquisitivedonkey SILVER, Cohasset, Massachusetts
9 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why, you, Rodion Romanovitch! you are the murderer".


My summer of seventh grade was filled with the petty dramas of Middle School, temperatures were through the roof, waves rhythmically lapped against the harbor docks, and all the other fixtures needed to create a pristine spring break were in place. However, what really made the summer of 2007 special was the marking of a new era, otherwise known as the economic crisis of 2007. At the time George Bush’s presidential hourglass was dwindling, and Barack Obama had just started to gain momentum. I will be completely honest when I say that my entire family despised the entire Bush legacy, and for good reason. George Bush’s presidency was shrouded with underground agreements, shady elections, and complete and utter denial that no nuclear weapons were in existence; if a member of congress were to present evidence that these nuclear weapons were non existent, they would promptly “retire”.
Time has passed since George Bush was dragged out of the Oval office after a grueling eight years, and our current president Barack Obama has been elected to glue our nation back together. Nevertheless, I have witnessed countless citizens gripe about Obama’s presidency. Their comments range from anger about his birth certificate, tha and even that he is “poop”. Obama promised this nation Change, and in my opinion he certainly has delivered, the benefits out nation has received are plain even in the tiny town where I live. Houses are selling with million dollar prices again, the job market has improved, and small businesses are thriving. Not only that, but the global warming situation is improving thanks to the cash for clunkers movement, and the hole ozone layer is slowly but surely starting to heal due to additional funding to alternative energy, and manufacturing companies widespread effort to produce more eco friendly products. With many new ideas and bills such as the HR3200 and the banning if torture, the constitution is finally losing its status as a figurehead, and has once again become the sanctified document the marked the birth of out nation.
It is unfair for citizens to discredit Barack Obama because he has not magically repaired the economy, environment, and our reputation in all but a few months. George Bush’s prolonged presidency left our country was in shambles, and in need of a complete rejuvenation. Barack Obama has just begun to reassemble our nation, and instead of being impatient, ill at ease, and overly critical of Obama’s decisions, the process would fare much more smoothly if we joined forces and switched to a more sanguine, supportive mindset.


The author's comments:
After listening to so many ignorant and generic complaints about Barack Obama's presidency, I decided to tackle some of the hardest critics: young adults.