The Legalization of Same Sex Marriage

Same sex marriage has been voted on, legalized, and banned universally. Currently, in the United States of America, same sex marriage is only legal in six states. This means forty four states are denying citizens their birth right to marry the person whom they love.

One of major arguments against Gay marriage is Religion. This country is based on a firm and just idea, which is the separation of Church and State. Religion should never be a cause for or against anything to do with government. Denying gay marriage is a form of minority discrimination, another thing this country is rightfully opposed to.

Many people say that allowing same sex marriage would weaken the meaning and validity of marriage. People also said that allowing women to vote that would lead to animals voting. Do we see Billy goats at the voting centers registering their licenses? No. Allowing same sex marriage is merely allowing gays to be receiving the same rights they should have been given in the first place.

People may ask why it’s so important that gays are allowed to marry. Well, firstly and most importantly is love. Marriage is the greatest act of love one can offer. It’s saying ‘I love you so much that I want to spend the rest of my life with you’. Heterosexuals are not the only couples that are in love. Love is universal. Every single person has love. Other people’s ignorant views should have no say in another person’s feelings. Secondly, there are the legal benefits that are ensured in heterosexual marriages. Things such as tax filing status, joint ownership of property, insurance benefits, agency law, and not to mention medical decision making are all things that gays should be insured with. Gay peoples should not be stripped from these rights just because their relationship is an abomination against someone else’s God.

By not allowing Gays to marry, you are not only going against the constitution, but against basic morals. Nobody has any right to declare anyone else’s relationship invalid. Gays should no longer be treated as second class citizens in a great nation that promises equality for all. Marriage is not a privilege for heterosexuals. It is simply a human right.

Brandifan said...
Wha hoo! :)

SkepticSkeleton replied...
Ferp yeah!

Brandifan replied...
Can you guess who this is?...just by the user name? ;)

SkepticSkeleton replied...
Pssssh. Chandler. Duh.

Brandifan replied...

hehe ;)

You know me so well.

SkepticSkeleton replied...
Oh yes I do.

fahreekin-crazy said...
Well written, and I agree completely! Gay marriage FTW! :D

julia! said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 12:36 am
I firmly agree. Love is love is love. Everyone's entitled to their love. And it's unjust that only straight couples get the legal benefits of marriage. That makes it seem like our country, so focused on equal rights, doesn't think gays can really be in love, and that all gay marriages would only exist for the legal benefit. When someone asks "Will you marry me?" they're asking for you to be theirs forever, in their hearts. Not for you to be theirs forever, in their bank account. People might fak... (more »)