Same Sex Marriage

Same Sex Marriage is a prevalent controversy in the United States. Traditionally, in the United States marriage has been illustrated as a religious and legal commitment between a man and women. However, homosexual relationships are present in the United States. Homosexuals are gradually gaining approval in the United States, but they were denied the basic right to marry. Youth, young adults, democrats, religious liberals/progressives, secularists, and most of the northeast are for Same Sex Marriages. The elderly, republicans, conservatives, and about half of the west coast and everywhere but northeast are against Same Sex Marriages. For the November 4, 2008 election, the state of California had a huge debate over Proposition 8. Proposition 8 eliminates the right of Same Sex Marriages. A yes vote on this proposition meant that the California Constitution will indicate that only marriage between a man and a women is legal in California. A no vote on this proposition meant that Marriage between two people of the same gender will continue to be allowed in California. Even though some people do not like the idea of Same Sex Marriages, I believe that citizens of the United States each deserve the same human rights.
Denying Same Sex Marriages is a violation of religious freedom. I believe in free will and the choice to do what you want to do as long as it dosen't hurt anyone. Violating religious freedom to a certain group just because some religions consider it a sin is not right. The first amendment to the Constitution plainly states that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” The government should not make laws against a certain group just because certain religions do not approve.
Denying Homosexuals to marry is a form of minority discrimination. The main reason why we have the Bill of Rights, anti slavery laws and equal protection amendments is to protect minority groups from any form of discrimination. What is the difference between denying two African Americans or Latinos the ability to marry? Homosexuals are a minority group and denying them marriage goes against everything America has worked so hard to build.
Child adoptions will tremendously increase if homosexuals are permitted to marry. Homosexuals are unable to pro-create. That means if they want to have children and obvious option would be adoption. The national statistics released by the Children's Bureau of the Department of Health and Human Services showed that in the fiscal year 2002 an estimated 126,000 foster children nationwide were waiting and ready to be adopted, but less than half were actually adopted. Permitting Homosexuals to marry can split that number again, and give hope to the children waiting in foster care.
In conclusion, homosexual couples should have the same human rights that heterosexual couples have and enjoy. Marriage is between two people. So society should not be dictating whether or not it is appropriate. Marriage should be based solely on love and if two homosexuals fall in love and wish to marry then they should have that right. Same Sex Marriages do not hurt the society in any way and it also encourages people to have strong family. Gay couples should have the right to legally marry.

nycsonya said...
whoops,  I meant for that to be a reply to miley123. sorry...

nycsonya said...
It's sick and wrong to want to be  with someone you love? Please. If you were suddenly denied the right to spend the rest of your life with someone you love, wouldn't you be upset? It is you, not Writingstar, who needs to think a little more.

zack77 replied...
Nov. 15 at 12:04 pm
so what r you saying you are agence same sex marriages

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

If only politicians saw common sense like you. Anti-gay people just don't listen to reason! I'm tired of arguing with them because you can't argue logicly with a madman.

Not only do I agree with the piece, but it is pretty well-written. I think you could have done MUCH better if you had spent a little more time on it, but it certainly isn't bad. Better than a lot of teens could write.

Miley123 said...
I completly disagree with this essay!  Homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. Its sick and its wrong. They can date and go out, but if they marry then thats nasty. What are we going to be teaching our kids? Its okay to date the same sex! If California allows proposition 8 then soon we will be allowing  horses and humans to marry. i think you should think a little more about the topic before displaying this essay.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
No disrespect, but are you being sarcastic or did you just misread the article-this article is saying the exact opposite of your views.

Writingstar said...
Yeah I mean what happened to everyone have the same rights. I mean this is AMERICA. Shouldn't there be free will

Writingstar said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:35 am
yea i mean at least have the dignity to respect them! I get soo mad when people say "I hate homosexuals" and i ask why and they say i dont know their gay

toxic.monkey said...
i agree completely! the whole has got to lose its fear. i feel like slapping people who say that homosexuals are abnormal or some other bull like that.

Writingstar replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:41 am
yaeah finally someone with some common sense and good judgement i mean some people are so idiotic ans=d stupid! I wish that more people good read and fully understand this article!

Writingstar said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:06 am
thank you both for taking the time to read this and it means a lot. I am glad that you both enjoyed my essay

lulubee22 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:39 am
I totally agree with everything you said! Where I live, the governor recently elected is completley against same sex marriage, and some people supported him for that. But really, I dunno why people think this is OK when most people have realized it's not.

GatoPoeta said...
i agree in every way. finally someone understands the true meaning of our society's wrong behavior. they discriminate against homosexuals but they dont realize they have done that before with racism. your work is beautifully written thank you for putting this awarness out in this world. keep up the good work

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I couldn't agree more with this article, and it was extremely well written! Many don't seem to realize that the discrimination against homosexuals is parallel to the discrimination that society has experienced before. As long as society changes, there will be new prejudices. I think the solution is to not let them rule society.