A Civilized Media | Teen Ink

A Civilized Media

June 22, 2010
By KeepMeInMind BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
KeepMeInMind BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

You sit down on your brown couch and turn on the T.V. The news comes on and this is what you hear: Faisal Shahzad was arrested for attempting to bomb Time Square, “Utah man beat boy, used hammer on face.” “7-year-old shot and killed during police search…” It just goes on and on about all this useless information that has been talked about on the news and in the newspaper too much. You turn off the T.V. and go onto the computer. You go on cbs3.com, the middle of the screen flashes different things that are over used as topics. For instance, news updates on celebrities and different crimes people have been committing. Will it ever stop? When will we hear satisfying things and not dreadful ones? Everything in the media is negative, when it is necessary for the positive to be shown.

People might think that on the news they would be hearing about all the exceptional things that are being done. Like, “Mission Kids Helps Child Abuse Victims.“ Not about all the stupid and wrong things people have been doing. For example, “Ohio man found guilty for putting children in trash.“

You go on foxnews.com to read about the important things that are going on in the World. Instead on the front page in the middle of the screen is a story about a guy who just got arrested at Filet-O-Fish. Really?! Why would people want to know about this? The news is giving attention to the wrong people. The ones who are helping out others and the World should be displayed in the media. Such as, James King, a man who went out of his way to rescue eleven-year-old Nadia from a Florida swamp. Mr. King is a great role model for everyone. Therefore, he should be displayed in the media, so that others can learn from him, and do as he does. It is important for others to follow the good examples of James King and not someone who had a “Bomb plot in Jersey City pizzeria”. For this to happen though, people like James need to be spotlighted on the news.

The newscasters and reporters do occasionally talk about some of the helpful people. Except it’s for about two seconds, and then they move right back to something no one wants to hear. 1 out of 20 top stories on cbs3.com is a positive news article, that’s only 5%. Fox news’ slogan is “Fair & Balanced” Yes, they are very well balance with 12 out of their 18 top stories being about disgraceful unnecessary things that horrible people have done. When you go on the news websites where do you even find the exemplary things? Under some random tab in the bottom corner of the page? Well, it seems like it. When you press on each of the tabs they have articles on, it’s nothing good. It’s all the same pessimistic things. Practical things are being ignored in the media. It’s not even like there is nothing pleasant to talk about. Plenty of people are helping out, doing optimistic things, and making the world a better place. For instance, Berry Mills, who is part of RSVP of Montgomery County and mentor for Rameek N., a freshman in high school.

Everything that is in the media makes it look like all that we Americans do is wrong. If someone was to come from another planet and the first thing they did was watch the news or read the newspaper, they would think poorly of us. Also, that we aren’t such civilized people. Although, if positive events were displayed on the news, the first impression that this outer space person would have of us would be, nice, caring, enlightening people.

You flip to the CBS news channel and the first thing you hear is Oprah Winfrey, Madonna, Whitney Houston, and Tiger Woods. Well isn’t that a surprise, more newscasters talking about celebrities? Another news update, about one celebrity, and one topic, which has been talked about on every news channel, seen in every magazine and newspaper for about a billion years. It’s like the news is revolved around all the famous people out there. Like, Tiger Woods for example. We have been hearing about his story over and over again for a while now. I understand talking about it once, but after that be done with it, drop it. It would also be good for the celebrities too, if what they did wasn’t dragged on and on about. Obviously you would rather not have your mistake talked about for weeks with everyone listening. So if reporters must mention something about a celebrity, or really anything that is nonsense, then do it once and then act as if it has never happened. If you think about it, the event has already finished, so continuing to talk about it won’t help or make the situation any better.

Some people say that the news is fine the way it is, that all of the harmful people and events on it are excellent for others to hear about. So, that these horrible things that are happening in our world don’t occur again. However, everything in the media is influential to not only teens but everyone. The news is sending kids and young adults a message that if you do cruel things you get to be on T.V. That right there is instant popularity for teens, or so they think. Everything talked about by newscasters and written in news articles isn’t really the best things for kids to hear. For example, “… cop impersonators, home invasion.” When they do see it though, it gives them ideas. Then, they think, well its okay to do it because I just saw a million people do it today on the morning news.

There is so much time and money that goes into each of the news stories, and it’s all being wasted on negative people and events. The money and time should be spent on stories like this, “Homeless Student Becomes Valedictorian of Texas High School,” and not this, “Thief Swipes $26K From Old City Store.”

Positive news can motivate and inspire people. Everyone is always thinking that they are only one person in the world and can’t make a difference by themselves. If they read about other people helping out in newspapers and hear it on the evening news, then they will realize that they can make a difference.

If you have ever watched ABC’s evening news, then you might know how they have a person of the week, someone who is spotlighted for seven days for being an honorable person. Now all that needs to be done is for other news stations and newspapers to follow in ABC’s evening news’ footsteps. Then we would have a balanced out media, a little about celebrities, a little about things happening in the world, and a little about commendable people and events. So, when will the media catch on and realize the power of positive reinforcement?