Should Rapists be Released from Prison?

A young girl walks by herself, maybe accompanied by a friend or two, chatting as they walk to the movies. The girl thinks she might hear the slightest of footsteps behind them, but brushes the idea off as being over imaginative. Suddenly though, she is attacked by a man she does not even know. Struggling is useless, and she is held down, raped and either murdered or left for dead. Somewhere else, there is a girl cowering in her room, a place that should have been a safe and welcoming haven when she hears the door creak open. She begins to tremble because she knows what's coming. She knows that it is her father, coming for his daily dose of rape and abuse. As the man inches forward she suppresses the tears fighting to run down her cheeks. She cannot yell out in terror, cry quietly, or even whimper. She cannot let anyone hear. If someone hears it will all be for nothing. She can't let anyone know, if she tells she knows he will hurt her family, and most likely her. He had made it a point to let her know that. So, she endures what she believes she must in silence, all alone, with nobody but the very man causing her pain to comfort her. She endures it for years upon years. When the man is caught, if he is caught, he is put in prison for an average of 123 days to 5.4 years, although 21% of convicted rapists never even go to prison. Most likely, the predator will still be alive by then, and then is free to do whatever he/she wishes. I believe that rapists should remain in prison for the duration of their lives.

Possibly the largest reason to keep the predator in prison is to keep him/her from doing it again. Studies show that nearly half of the rapists released from prison are caught raping again, implying that even more do but aren't caught. Some argue that people can change, but if that large percent of rapist do it again how are we to determine which ones can change and which ones can't? Anyone can lie and say they've changed, but do you want to be the person to determine the life of his next victim just because you believe that they have changed?

Also, the release of the rapist is a danger to the victim and family. Revenge, as many of us know, is a strong feeling, and can drive many to do stupid things. Imagine if the rapist were to want revenge, and hunted down the family. This could be potentially fatal for the family and really is not a risk I would think should be taken. Why give the predator a chance to ruin the lives of the family even farther?

The third and final reason I believe rapists should not be released from prison is the fear in the surrounding community. It is frightening, in this day and age, to just walk down your street. Within one mile of my house, there are 19 sexual predators. Now, we take lengths to avoid the houses of said individuals, frightened to walk on the same side of the street as their house. We no longer have the freedom to walk around as we once did. I believe this is very wrong and should be rectified.

Given these reasons, although there are definitely more, I ask you to reflect upon my idea. I ask you to consider that rapists should not be released from prison, for the safety of individuals, and the whole community.

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 10:33 am:
Amen! this is a very well written and persuasive article. i wrote an article on ra.pe kit backlog called "The Nightmare" would you check it out if you get a chance??

TomChen replied...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm :
Some people are actually raped, while others are not... those that are actually raped, should have the peace of mind knowing that the trash that sexually assaulted them should NOT be released able to do it again. You tend to find a large number of Caucasian males are statistically rapist more so than African Americans, so if you look closely at the prison time they are sentenced, you will noticed that someone selling drugs to a willing recipient will do more time than someone that has brutally... (more »)

a.m.f said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm:

Rapists should not be released from prisons! The reason why they are is because it's expensive to keep them locked up and jails/prisons are becoming more and more overcrowded.  I say stuff them in the cells; jail isn't meant to be comfortable! And if food costs is the issue; give them even nastier food than they're already recieving! It's jail, not a spa; they can deal with it!  Rapists are as low as it gets! If they want to get with someone, they don't have to do it by raping!! It'... (more »)

Inherinerd replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm :
Thank you!! I wanted to write about something important. My sister was raped by our stepdad from when she was 6 to when she was twelve.

a.m.f said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm:
This really makes me think.  First of all, your writing was amazing; the two stories at the beginning made this piece very interesting.  Second, i agree with you 100%.  Rapists should not be let out of prision; I think they should be convicted for life.  Each state lets people out early or doesn't convict them because of lack of space.  It's ridiculous.  Maybe the state should just higher taxes if it's going to keep the public safe.  Yes, tax raise would be a p... (more »)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm:
I wholeheartedly agree with you(yeah, that's a weird word isn't it?).  Rapists should rot in jail for the rest of their lives because of the crimes they've committed, and for the safety of others.  You wrote this very well, excellent use of words, great style, very convincing.

Michaela S. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 11:24 am:
Yeah, I totally agree with you here! I love how you start this essay off with a story. That is always good! Interesting topic here. Your indirect connection to this topic also boosts the interest of us readers. Great work! The only thing I have against this is that the first paragraph is really long, hence harder to read.

Caitlyn_ilovesoftball said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:44 am:
I agree, or have them go under intensive survailnce for bout 5 yrs after like a ten yeaer release.  Without them knowin of corse.  I hate the idea of rape!!! hate it@