In a Decade or Two Acting Could be Over

Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, or Robert Downey Junior could be the main character of every film. Computer graphics and engineering has sped ahead of law and ethics. We can now computer generate almost exact replicas of actors. If you have recently seen the film “Terminator Salvation” and other Terminator films you will note that salvation takes place before the other films. So unless Arnold Schwarzenegger found an amazing anti-aging cream he would not be nearly the right age to play the character of the Terminator. However, the solution was computer graphics. The entire film the other actors were screaming, hitting, and staring at air. Companies such as ILM (who make special effects for films such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.) can take clips or pictures of the actor then create an entire virtual person. It's similar Alvin and the Chipmunks or the Scooby-Doo films. The “real” actors just pretend to hear and look at the Chipmunks or Scooby-Doo. In this case however they are able to create an actual well-known human so well to the point where I would bet not one person could recognize Arnold was made out of the same stuff as Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. Obviously most famous actors would sue companies for putting their face in a movie and claim compensation (money earned from the movie). An argument could be created on the other end too by claiming that these people did no actual acting in the film and technically the face in the film is not really them it's just animated. In some cases it's a combination such as Brandon Lee who died during the filming of the “Crow” then was replaced with a digital version of himself. An interesting scenario would be using Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice and feel in an animated creature such as a mouse and then deciding whether or not you owe him money since he did no voice overs. It will be exciting to see how law catches up will the spectacular world of computer graphics.

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 6:22 am
The idea of these actors being fully computer generated whatever-bots is actually rather unnerving. Kudos on bringing this up!

Lighting_Ferron replied...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 10:47 am
all the tech. we have now they might be a 4D

muffins said...
who are you???? why do you like flowers?

muffins replied...
this comment was for the person below

muffins replied...
also at the person below, you have problems, 98 posts or whatever they are in 1 month?!?!?!?! YOu my friend are a freak

Asianflowers said...
Interesting, thoughtful, and well informed writing. That is a very unique idea. Great Job!