Promises | Teen Ink

Promises

June 6, 2010
By Anonymous

Should candidates keep the promises they make if elected? Some people say yes. Others, like me, say they shouldn’t have to. Why shouldn’t they? Here are a few reasons why I think they shouldn’t have to.

Candidates running for most offices make promises. Some promises are lowering gas prices, lowering taxes, and finding jobs for people. But, how often are promises like these kept? In my opinion, most campaign promises are exaggerated just to get votes. But some politicians make promises because people would be too upset to hear the real truth, to hear that they can’t do something. Would you rather hear the president say he/she would try their best to get family members out of Iraq, to end the war? Or, would you rather hear that there would be no possible way to end the war now and get your family back home. Which of the two would you prefer?

Some candidates view promises a different way. Some candidates will make promises knowing that if they were to be elected for office, then they would try to accomplish those promises, but sometimes they can’t. There are just too many. They try their best to get as many accomplished in the time they have. No one should really expect them to just happen all at once. No one really expect any of them to happen, you just have to wait and see.

Sometimes, unpredictable events happen in the world. Many times, things don’t go according to plan. Presidents like FDR promised not to get involved with World War II, but had no way of knowing the Japanese would be dragging us into it by bombing us. No one can really stop what’s going to happen and it may happen to break a promise made. Sometimes, you just have to deal with them and have faith that your leader will do the right thing.

Should candidates running for office try to keep some of their promises? Yes, but don’t expect them to keep all of them. They’re just trying the best they can. You just have to believe that whomever you vote for will choose the right path. You can never really know what will happen in the future. All we can do now is wait for the future to come and hope it’s all right. Sometimes, you’ve just got to have faith.