Let's Rant About Politics... | Teen Ink

Let's Rant About Politics...

By madind BRONZE, Saint Paul, Minnesota
madind BRONZE, Saint Paul, Minnesota

First impressions last forever.

Inspired by TIME magazine's 2010 100 Most Influential People List.
Supporting quotes are taken from different websites. None are made up, I swear, and you can skip over them, they're just there to support my claims (hey Glenn Beck, wanna try that sometime?). Yes, I realize there are Liberals doing some of the same things, and go ahead, and write a note about it. I'm liberal, and this is my note.

Let's start with Karl Rove shall we?

What would your prescription be for healing the current partisan climate? -Javier Avalos (he's from MN!!)
KR: There's always going to be a high degree of partisanship. I fought President Obama for having inspired the country to believe that it was "not red state-blue state but the United States," and then once in office giving a little bit of attention to the form of bipartisanship but not the substance.

Is being the "party of no" working for republicans? -David Hammom (Maryland)
KR: I don't see it as a position of no. It's been largely no because of the opposition to health care. Republicans are going to get great gains in the 2010 elections. The gains will be bigger if Republicans are not content to surf the wave of discontent with what Democrats are doing but instead offer an optimistic and positive agenda.

As a GOP strategist, what would you be most afraid of Democrats doing strategically as they head into the 2010 election? -Amy Sandberg. (...also from MD).
KR: Focus on jobs and succeed at doing something in a bipartisan way that helps the economy grow. But none of these things are going to happen.

*Analysis time. Let's start with one shall we. "There's always going to be a highly partisan climate..." Yes, unfortunately there is...would you like to know why? Its because there are too many people like you (in all parties) that are so against working together and reaching across the aisle (see questions 2 and 3) that there's little possibility of anyone pulling together for...oh, I don't know, the country that you're representing? The next part actually makes me want to cry. Obama, the president, of the UNITED STATES (that is our name right...just double checking here, it was the last time I checked, but apparently, we might now be Red-states, Blue-states) said that we were a unified nation. We put our patriotism above our personal politics...that was kind of the whole thing that America was founded on right? Do I really have to repeat George Washington's inaugural speech...it was all about how he worried that one day our country would begin to out personal politics and state-loyalty above national loyalty. Hey, whadda psychic. Karl Rove, I don't care about how you feel about Obama. He wanted to bring the nation together (nation: noun
a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory...THATS US...united...) in a time of crossroads. And you think that we are red-state blue-state, and that that's what you should be arguing FOR? I don't get it, I actually don't. For a guy who's always talking about how America-oriented he is, this doesn't sound like it. Speaking of bipartisanship, let's move on too...

QUESTION TWO: "I don't see it as a position of no. It's been largely no because of the opposition to health care. Republicans are going to get great gains in the 2010 elections." So...what? You're not the part of no, but you're in opposition to the biggest piece of legislation this session? And...what? As soon as Republicans win, then you'll do whatever it takes to break through any and all annoying Democratic negotiations? "If Republicans are not content to surf the wave of discontent with what Democrats are doing but instead offer an optimistic and positive agenda." So this optimistic and positive agenda includes what? No negotiations with people who represent half the country that you're supposed to put above your party loyalty...OH! I know, the positive and optimistic part comes in when you try and retract any and all legislation that passed while you weren't in power?

QUESTION THREE: "Focus on jobs and succeed at doing something in a bipartisan way that helps the economy grow. But none of these things are going to happen." So basically you're AFRAID of Democrats doing something to help the country? Don't we all need to be focusing on jobs? Wouldn't it be great if someone managed to reach across the aisle AND find someone waiting to take it and work together? Oh wait "There's always going to be a high degree of partisanship" and we don't need to work at it, and if the Democrats try to work together with their colleagues (noun, a person with whom one works (!!!!!), esp. in a profession or business) now it must only be because its a strategy to win and also, its a VERY BAD THING...so bad in fact, that you're scared of it? (This might explain the lack of bipartisan feeling in Washington...everyone's AFRAID). Here's my favorite..."helps the economy grow"....it even has help in it, HELP THE ECONOMY GROW, and you're afraid of...WHAT? If the democrats want to help the economy grow, if ANYONE wants to help the economy grow, that's...scary? What?

____________________________
Okay, moving on to dear, dear Sarah Palin. I'm just going to take quotes from the article because its super long.

QUOTE ONE: "The independent, patriotic, spirit, attitude and soul are alive and well in Sarah" (Nugent). Let's start with the lovely adjectives. These are the ones everysingle politician love to be called...and all together...well, that's even better. Do you know what would make it EVEN BETTER? If they were true. Let's take some quotes from G-Washy's inaugural address, he is, after all, THE founding father, no? "and have thence too little consulted my incapacity as well as disinclination for the weighty and untried cares before me"...so Sarah, after QUITTING the governor-ship of Alaska, how do you think you have looked at your "incapacity" for the "weighty and untried cares before me." (Hey, isn't that last quote great, it has UNTRIED in it, like maverick :O Perfect.) Okay, let's move on.

QUOTE TWO: "[the traits of the founding fathers] are in the way she talks and how she dedicates herself to make America better in these interesting times." First of all, Mr. Ted Nugent, INTERESTING TIMES? No, these aren't interesting times, the 1920s are interesting times, the Age of Enlightenment (whaddup fourth hour history) are interesting times. Times right now are stressful, hard, and confusing...not interesting. Next, in the way she talks?!?! HAVE YOU HEARD HER TALK? It sounds like my grandma doing an impression of Michelle Bachman. And in no way will I let my heros (the aforementioned founding fathers) be disgraced and insulted in such a way. "Well, let's see. There's ? of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ?" --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008. "[T]hey're in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom." --Sarah Palin, getting the vice president's constitutional role wrong after being asked by a third grader what the vice president does, interview with NBC affiliate KUSA in Colorado, Oct. 21, 2008 I mean, there's SO many more.

QUOTE THREE: "she represents the good, while exposing the bad and ugly." SEE QUOTES ABOVE. The good of what? The bad and ugly of what? SHE IS THE BAD AND UGLY (not looks wise, I'm not that shallow, I mean, she actually is a stain on the whole country and the whole profession of politics).

QUOTE FOUR: "She embraces the critical duty of we the people by participating in this glorious experiment of self-government." Participating now equals quitting apparently. And also, anyone else take a little bit of offense at America being called a "glorious experiment"?

QUOTE FIVE: "herculean work ethic..." Again. She quite the GOVERNORSHIP of ALASKA. What happens if she decides that you know, the PRESIDENCY (which I think she's planning on running for) is just not right. "And finally, I polled the most important people in my life, my kids. And the count was unanimous. While in response to asking, 'Hey, do you want me to be a positive influence and fight for all our children's futures from outside the governor's office?' it was four yeses and one 'Hell, yeah.' The 'Hell, yeah' sold it." So if YOUR KID says HELL YEAH YOU SHOULDNT BE GOVERNOR, well then, that's it. YES, what a work ethic.

____________________________
OK, I know this is getting long, but next up is an article about dear old Glenn Beck by none other than Mrs. Palin.

QUOTE ONE: "...charting and connecting ideas with chalk dusted fingers..." I just have one question. WHAT IDEAS?! Crazy anagrams and conspiracy theories don't just count as ideas, they count as IDEAS. He never ever supports anything with any facts, and whenever he does, he manages to negate it with some mumbo-jumbo. "This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. This guy is, I believe, a racist." –on President Obama. Hey look negation with some mumbo-jumbo and that was the FIRST quote I found. Okay, as a side note, he just called Obama racist right? Read this: "I have been nervous about this interview with you because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies. ... And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way." –interviewing Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), the first Muslim U.S. congressman, Glen Beck's show on CNN's Headline News, Nov. 14, 2006 NOW WHO'S RACIST.
BAck to the idea of "ideas" let's see what other gems are out there. "I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today." –on why people who lost their homes in forest fires in California had it coming, "The Glenn Beck Program," Oct. 22, 2007. WHAT?! Anyways, I'll add some more in as we go!

QUOTE TWO: "He's become America's professor of common sense..." See above quote and following quote. "O-L-I-G-A-R-H-Y." –misspelling "oligarchy" on his chalk board while claiming he had deciphered a secret code that he said was proof President Obama was trying to create an "Oligarhy," Aug. 27, 2009, Glenn Beck show on FOX News Channel. Yup, it was that easy to find another crazy quote.

QUOTE THREE: "tackles topics other news shows would consider arcane..." OR UNTRUE. See above quote.

QUOTE FOUR: "he's doing to "progressive" what Ronald Reagan did to "liberal"...explaining that its a damaged brand..." Progressive: Progressives see progressivism as an attitude towards the world of politics that is broader than conservatism vs. liberalism, and as an attempt to break free from what they consider to be a false and divisive dichotomy. Huh. More about bipartisanship as not a good thing. Seems to be a theme. OH HEY GLENN BECK, I JUST FOUND AN ANTI-PROGRESSIVE (BIPARTISAN) THEME IN THIS NOTE. How about that, I even back it up with some quotes and we, in schools and really normal people in general, call FACTS. (LETS FIND A FALSE ANAGRAM SHALL WE?!...I'm kidding.)

QUOTE FIVE: "his ability to galvanize [to startle into sudden activity] everyday Americans to better themselves and peacefully engage their governement..." HOLD ON, I HAVE THE BEST QUOTE. ""I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, 'Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore,' and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, 'Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death.' And you know, well, I'm not sure." –responding to the question "What would people do for $50 million?", "The Glenn Beck Program," May 17, 2005. Nice, right? Real peaceful guy.

QUOTE SIX: "he's really an inspiring patriot..." Patriot: noun, a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors. I have so many good quotes for this one.
quote a: "When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005. That's so offensive to America...I honestly cannot and will not say anything to that, I'll just let it stand by itself.
quote b: "The only [Katrina victims] we're seeing on television are the scumbags." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005.
quote c: "I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today." –on why people who lost their homes in forest fires in California had it coming, "The Glenn Beck Program," Oct. 22, 2007
quote d:"Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization...And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did. That's what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing]." –"The Glenn Beck Program," May 1, 2007
quote e: "You have the artwork of Mussolini there, here in New York at Rockefeller Plaza." –analyzing the artwork decorating Rockefeller Plaza, which he said contained a hammer and sickle, Glenn Beck show on FOX News Channel, Sept. 2, 2009.

So there you go Glenn, that's what we call using some quotes and facts to back up our arguments.

These people are on Time's 100 Most Influential List? Shoot, we're in for some "interesting" times.