Premarin: Drug or Death | Teen Ink

Premarin: Drug or Death

May 27, 2010
By Tshabarrsgirl SILVER, Dexter, Michigan
Tshabarrsgirl SILVER, Dexter, Michigan
5 articles 2 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
The way to heaven is on horseback.


Death, hopelessness, and abuse are three things you’ll find at a Premarin Farm. Premarin: a replacement hormone drug for women with menopause. A more accurate definition would be, Premarin: a drug in which thousands of horses a year die to make. Premarin is made from the urine of a pregnant mare (female horse) and because of this, thousands of foals (baby horses) are sent to slaughter, sometimes along with their mothers. Premarin is a horrible drug that needs to be stopped.



A Premarin farm are horrible to all their horses, all of them suffer. Living on only one thousand acres for sixty thousand mares and for sometime fifty thousand foals, the horses have little room. There are around fifty Premarin farms in the United States; the majority of them are in North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Indiana, and Montana. In these farms, the mares stay indoors for six months in small stalls, wearing uncomfortable things that collect the urine. These small stalls cause many problems, mainly for the larger breeds of horses, such as Warmbloods and Drafts. Breeds of horses at Premarin Farms are Warmbloods, Morgans, Drafts, Thoroughbreds, Paints, Quarter Horses, Fjords, Appaloosas, and some Arabians. As the stalls cause problems by being too small, they are also dirty causing many problems for all the mares. Foals are also only allowed to live with their mothers for three months instead of six. A Premarin farm is a nightmare to every horse.



Premarin is an unhealthy and unwanted drug. Although many people believe it is necessary simple facts can show it is not. Founded in 1942 over nine million women use Premarin when they could be using alternative drugs that are natural replacements. With all the side effects, Premarin is a horrible drug for people as well. Mild side effects are: Pain in: back, breasts, head, joints, muscles, throat, and stomach; bloating; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; flu syndrome; gas; hair loss; increase cough; indigestion; infection; itching; lightheadedness; leg cramps; nauseas; nervousness; runny nose; sinus inflammation; sleeplessness; upper respiratory tract infection; and weakness. More serious side effects are: severe allergic reaction (rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in chest, swelling of lips, face or tongue); abnormal bleeding; breast lumps; changes in vision, speech, mental/mood, or weight; pain in chest, upper abdomen, or calves; fainting; confusion; severe headache; sudden shortness of breath; swelling in hands or feet; vomiting; numbness or arms or legs; yellow skin or eyes; stroke; Breast cancer; Ovarian cancer; Endometrial cancer. Premarin is also expansive, it can cost up to eighty dollars, but that is not the only cost. The other cost is the lives of thousands of horses a year. Premarin isn’t needed as well as very hurtful.



Thousand of horses a year die to make Premarin but we can help. Over two hundred thousand horses a year are sent to slaughter. After eight or nine years of being used the mares are sent to slaughter. After six months the foals are taken from their mothers, to either be adopted or sent to slaughter houses. The horses are sent to slaughter houses over the boarded into Canada and Mexico in overcrowded trailers to be slaughtered. After the slaughter their meat is shipped overseas, to European countries and Japan. Many people are against Premarin such as: The Humane Organization Representing Suffering Equines (H.O.R.S.E. of Connecticut), the Humane Society, Spring Hill Horse Rescue, Live savers wild horse Rescue, Dream Chaser- Horse rescue and rehabilitation, Medicine horse Program, mustangs 4 us, Angle horse rescue, and Equine voices- rescue and sanctuary. However, we can help as well. To adopt a Premarin foal there is a seven to eight hundred dollar adoption fee and a fifteen-dollar application fee. You can pick your breed of foal, or show up and pick one at the rescue barn. You don’t have to adopt, but there are other ways to help.



The Premarin Drug is cruel and hurtful to horses and people; it needs to be recalled. Millions of horses will continue to be sent to slaughter if the Premarin drug is not stopped. Stopping the Premarin drug will save many of horses while lowering the number of homeless horses who are born a year. While the Premarin drug is still being made, foals and mare will keep heading to slaughter houses. If you wish to help log onto Spring Hill Horse Rescue, look at their Premarin foal page to learn more about theses poor creatures. "Through the days of love and celebration and joy, and through the dark days of mourning - the faithful horse has been with us always.” Spoken by Elizabeth Cotton.


The author's comments:
People go far at the risk of living things, then will just turn the other cheeck.