SB1070;Immigrants;Racial Profiling | Teen Ink

SB1070;Immigrants;Racial Profiling

May 19, 2010
By Jasmine Cerezo BRONZE, Pheonix, Arizona
Jasmine Cerezo BRONZE, Pheonix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

SB 1070; Immigrants; Racial Profiling


On April 23, 2010 the state of Arizona signed proposition 1070. The proposition was signed in the capital by Jan Brewer. Prop 1070 is known as “Support Our Law Enforcement and Neighborhoods Act”. This prop gives the right for police to stop someone that looks like they might be an immigrant, and ask for their documents that state they are a U.S citizen. If the Senate Bill 1070 goes into effect it will cause racial profiling against Mexicans/Hispanics.

I am totally against this bill! This bill is racial profiling because to identify whether they are a US citizen or an immigrant you have to look at what color their skin is, which is suppose to determine their race. This new law is put against Mexicans, proved that they are looking for brown skin, which is Hispanics, that show that they are a US citizen. Police men are not going to go around looking for Japanese being spoken, or people with a hijab. What did they do wrong in the first place? They’re getting arrested for being brown? That’s being racist, and you can’t even say its not.

Russell Pearce quotes “illegal is not a race, it’s a crime”. If being illegal is the thing here, everyone on this land, except for Native American is illegal. The United State was first natives, and the Americans took this land for the natives. Illegal aliens are helping out US. Who builds the houses you live in? Who fixes the roads for you to drive to work every morning? IMIGRANTS DO! Illegals give Americans in the US the lives the people there have. With out illegals united states it nothing.

Immigrants made united states what it is today. Illegal’s built the streets you drive on, they built the school you learn in, and they built the side walks you walk on. Immigrants do hard working day and night to try to make the United State the best looking country. Because of immigrants your country is what it is now. SB 1070 is getting rid of all the people that made them who and what they are.

If we don’t take effect to stop SB 1070 and racial profiling. The law will be official on July 28, 2010. To stop this disgusting problem we need to speak what we feel and take action of your rights. Stand up for yourself, don’t hold back speak the facts that’s the only way we will be able to keep our loved ones here with us.

The author's comments:
My article is very important to me, because alot of good people are having to leave arizona. alot of families are having to be split up. i hope that people will open there eyes and see what there doing to inicent people. people i know, people i love have to mave because of the law, and its not fair cause there good poeple all they did was try to help.