Putting the Founding Fathers to Shame | Teen Ink

Putting the Founding Fathers to Shame

By england_love77 PLATINUM, Penryn, California
england_love77 PLATINUM, Penryn, California

“If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.”

Back in the late 1700’s, the Founding Father’s of America, consisting of Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and a few other’s, envisioned a rich country that didn’t strive to be the best, but strived to inspire other countries to do what’s right. When Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, he promised the citizens “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
Well, we have the first two. But what about the last one?
Over the course of time, and America’s own short history, minorities had to fight for their right. It was only about fifty years ago that Martin Luther King, Jr. revealed his dream to the America, where he saw a country that would one day treat all men equally, no matter what minority they fall under.
There’s no denying that America has come a long way. We’re so much closer to equality than ever before, but the LGBT community is still anxious to be fully included. All they want is their own wedding, that’s it. But some religious groups still oppose it. Well, what if the gay couple isn’t religious? Or what if they are? A religion teaches you how to live your life, and if someone doesn’t follow that guideline exactly, then it isn’t your place to make sure that they do.
Since America strives to be a democracy, that means equality is a must, as well as political tolerance. America has to be one of the most diverse countries in the world and should be a leading example of how a happy, equal society is run.
Homophobia is another factor affecting this situation. When one walks down a school hallway and sees a student picking on a gay student, it’s hard not to think: when that bully starts a family one day and has a child who grows up to be gay, how will the bully (now a father) react? The phrase “that’s so gay” gives off a negative connotation which shouldn’t be allowed in schools, because it can be offensive. Even if one doesn’t mean to use it in a malicious way, it still induces insulted feelings of gay people every. Just because “everyone says it” doesn’t make it right. If you follow the crowd, you’ trade your independent self for a mediocre, offensive nobody.
Numerous campaigns against the gay wedding have one goal: to save the sanctity of marriage. Yet, so many straight couples divorce every day, or cheat on their spouses. Look at the media. Does divorce, cheating, and lying seem very sacred? If gay marriage is legal, then that’ll only create more happiness around the country. So much darkness is in the world right now, so why not try to make Earth a brighter place? A simple wedding will not change anyone’s life, it’ll only create the most positive change to the ones that are getting married.
We’re not asking for a perfect world. We’re striving to make America the country that it was meant to be, with equal, happy citizens.
The LGBT community isn’t going away. Banning their right to marriage won’t solve the problem. The only way is acceptance. The more acceptance, the more happiness.
Cheesy, but true.

I hope that when some people against gay marriage, they will at least think twice about their viewpoint.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 11:11 pm

I agree. Even though I despise the people who held signs of hatred and discrimination at a gay soldier's funeral, they still have the right to do that.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 10:41 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

Its a shame, but it would be even worse if they took away the right to say what you want.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 6:04 pm

I never said that we should take away freedom of speech...I was just talking about in the school situation, a lot of students can get bullied with discriminatory words. everyone has the right to say what they want, and its a shame people use it in a bad, hating way.

on May. 27 2010 at 3:17 pm
the_Horsegirl SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

People need dreams, there's as much nourishment in 'em as food.
--Dorothy Gilman

If there is such a thing as truth, it is as intricate and hidden as a crown of feathers.
--Isaac Bashevis Singer

Intereting spin on a (in my opinion) often-written about topic. A lot of times it just seems like people are repeating the same arguments over and over about gay marriage. But this essay pulled me right away!

So, good job, keep it up!

on May. 15 2010 at 8:24 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

Yes, I'm sure the founding fathers would love the idea of taking away people's right to say what they want, like "thats so gay"