Could this law be anymore criminal?

I watch the news at 6 pm. They have the camera pointed to a group of people, yelling. With mouth open, yelling harsh names. I feel sick to my stomach. To watch human beings, people who are suppose to have a heart and brain,be so cruel.
My eyes travel to my mother that is trying to stand up to my lazy uncle. He's laying on the couch, as always. Lazily, he sits up, as if that makes him any more human. Before my mother can even get a fit words out, he screams out his opinion. Getting louder and louder, and my mother standing her guard. She's not letting him win. Not this argument.
Arizona has issues the law that if you look illegal, then the police are allowed to search you. My mother is getting deported in a month. I've been calm throughout all this. The eight months of fighting the law, of getting ready for the worst, and degrading goodbye. All this, and now she's leaving. Sadly, this is a relief for both of us. The feeling of no more fighting, and no more worries. It's all uphill from now on. Or so we thought.
Here comes my uncle, all might and tall. He believes that the nawly painted law has its rights.
"If you were to learn english, Liliana, and be a true America, perhaps this wouldnt have happened."
He has no right. Considering the fact that he married my aunt, while she was illegal.
If we, as spanish talkers, are liable to speak english for the sake of Americans, why can't they talk spanish for us? There are more mexicans, peruvians, puerto ricans, ext, then there are Americans. Yet, they want us all gone? We run this so called, "Free" country. Of course, we get none of the credit.
Since we rather wear rags, then suits. Eat at home with families, then cheat on our wifes with our work. Since we stand tall, they all want to tear us down. That's what no one has been able to notice. We are all fighting with every muscle we got, to show what we're made us. To show our bravery, intelligance, and visionary. Since our skin is a bit tanner, we are worthless trash that should return to our countries. America is our country. Here is our couches, television, kitchens, and heart. We have such a vision of the perfection in a world. Getting thrown to the ground doesn't stop me. We get up, dust off our pants, and continue with our lives.
I have my life to show to the world. So while my uncle sits on the couch, thinking that everyone worships him, just because he's an American, i'm showing that im worth it. I will stand tall. Not for the Americans that watch me fall, but for every hispanic person out there. We can make it, and we will. No matter where we land, we will make our home.

krazykathleen said...
May 11, 2010 at 4:47 pm:

Sorry I read the thing about wives wrong. Excuse that comment. However, referring to the line afterwards- it's not because your skin is tanner! It's because a lot of Hispanics have entered illegally!

I am sorry to hear about your mom though. As much as I disagree with you, that has got to be hard.

krazykathleen said...
May 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm:
America is not your country if you have entered it illegally!!! You say we don't learn your language, but why don't you try to learn ours? It goes both ways! And yes, it is a free country, and no you don't run it, and you don't get credit because people shouldn't get credit if they are illegal!! And not all Americans wear suits- there are plenty of white Americans who are poor. There are plenty of successful Latinos who wear suits as well, and they have entered America the right wa... (more »)

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm :

You said you live in Arizona, yet you don't realize how near IMPOSSIBLE it is to enter the legal way! Hundreds of people have been on the waiting list literally from their birthday to their dying day, and have stayed in Mexico with no opportunities their whole lives! America is the land of the free, so you can't blame a struggling mother with a young child for wanting a better future for her baby! There's almost no chance to come here legally, but for her family, she will do anything! And Rep... (more »)

May 11, 2010 at 7:43 pm :
And I'm not saying that illegal immigration shouldn't be stopped (even though I feel bad for those who must resort to that) but I'm saying that this isn't the way to go; it's just creating racism and conflict.

Mexican_Barbie replied...
May 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm :
Krazykathleen, YOUR the illegal immigrant! all white peoples are. The first people in America were indians with ,yes, DARK COLORED SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TxDragon replied...
May 25, 2010 at 6:49 pm :
Some people are just not logical.  The reason police would more likely think a latino is illegal than a Irishman is because the current illegal problem is with Mexicans.  If there was a problem with Canadians coming here illegally, the police would be looking for Canadians.  It annoys me that so many people cry "racism" about every little thing.  No matter hwo nice a Mexican is, or how hard life is in Mexico, everyone should have to come to America legally.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm :
sure we have an immgration issue, but this is just cordially inviting racism into arizona, and yea i agrre white people(me included) are responsible for the massacres of native americans and stealing their land

TxDragon replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm :
You think that all white people are responsible for the massacres of Indians? I think my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather would have been about two and living in Italy around the time of the early settlers, so I'm pretty sure my family's blameless.  And, the colonists weren't the only ones slaughtering innocent people. The Indians didn't just sit around and pout, they were pretty cruel, too.  There's two sides to everything.

krazykathleen replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm :
Thank you TxDragon!!

Sept. 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm :
sure, many white people immigrated here after everything, i was unfair in generalizing. but what would you do if some foreign people came and stole your land, and killed your people trying to take something you hold dear?

jacked_up_sharpie said...
May 9, 2010 at 8:33 am:
First of all, thats New Yorks law. THAT law makes sense. and to do something the legal way? We try. We all try to do everything as best as we can. But when we're in the ground, with absolutely nothing, then you try to make the best for yourself. Why can't a country just to try to help ANYONE. For it's reputation? To have no dirty hispanics crawling around? Please, if you were ANY of one of us, would you consider doing things, the legal way?

TxDragon replied...
May 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm :
Just because you're suffering, just because you're poor, or it will take forever to become a legal citizen, you have NO RIGHT to come into this wonderful country illegally.  I don't know what it would feel like to be a Mexican looking for a better life, but I do know that when my family moved to Argentina, we learned spanish, we wen't to an Argentinian school.  And when we came back to America, we spoke english and said the American pledge in school.

MisplacedTexan14 said...
May 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm:
Yes we want you to speak English. America is an English speaking country. If you want to live in our country you should learn our language. Plus, Arizona's new law isnt bad. It only enforces immigration. Theres already a federal law that does the same thing! The police cant search you if you "look" illegal, they can only ask for identification if you have been pulled over or something for breaking ANOTHER law. No other country in the world has open borders, or just lets anyone come in. Why shoul... (more »)

Mexican_Barbie replied...
May 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm :
dude thats hard. learn first, then post.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
May 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm :
Learn what? How to be politically correct and not offend the minorities in any way?

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
May 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm :
Maybe you need to learn to read a law before you critisize it. The law prohibits racial profiling. Therefore it is not racist.

jacked_up_sharpie replied...
May 23, 2010 at 10:10 am :
How about you? I'm writing about how american's discriminate against hispanics. And by saying that i'm wrong, because im hispanic, you are discriminating against me. Perhaps you can't see through my eyes, but trust me, there is someone out of there that can't see through yours. I write what i see, and think. You write what you think is politically correct. At least, when the time comes, i know that what i write, is an opinion. You should start learning how to bow your head down. Not just to resp... (more »)

jacked_up_sharpie replied...
May 23, 2010 at 10:15 am :
And if you knew so much about America, then you should know the english is NOT the primary language. America doesnt have one, because of all the SPANISH, GREEK, CHINESE, and ENGLISH talking people.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
May 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm :

I'm being politically correct? Really? Also, I'm not discriminating against you. I'm speaking what I believe, and if I'm not allowed to say what I believe because someone might be offended, there is something wrong. Also, the majority of Americans DO speak English.

I write what I see and think as well. Why do I have to bow my head down? And what do I need to learn about life? I know a lot about America. I was born here, grew up here, and love America more than anything. I study history... (more »)

jacked_up_sharpie replied...
May 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm :
Well, my parents and grandparents came here as well as immigrants. They learned english, they worked, pained taxes, and didn't ask the government to take care of them. They are have started everything their own, and will everything their own. So, if there was more illegal immigrants not being allowed to be here, then how would america have MORE people? What is so bad about being illegal? They bring no diseases, or anything else. And if you read about history, then you should have a sense about p... (more »)